SoundMAGIC HP200 vs Sennheiser HD650

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by sjparker, Jan 24, 2014.

1. sjparker

sjparker New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I've been a happy user of SoundMAGIC's HP100 for probably about 8 or 9 months now. My only gripe has been they start to hurt after an hours use due to the depth inside the earcups, which was called out in Noble's fantastic reviews you can find online.

I'm considering an upgrade to my cans. Looking at openback and this will be partnered with a new DAC/AMP that I've also asked about in the Headphone Amplifier section.

So, budget is around £350 max for the headphones. I'm looking at the HP200 or the HD650 so far. What's peoples experience in terms of comfort and audio quality between the two?

Obviously I have concerns over the comfort of the HP200 seeing as they overall the same fit as the HP100 but I love what SoundMAGIC are doing as relatively new company and I feel like I want to support them over Sennheiser. I love my little E10's and I'm devastated every time my HP100's start to hurt my ears! :(

Any suggestions of comments much appreciated
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    The HP200 is a slightly 'darker' sound than Sennheiser, unless the 650 has changed since I heard it several years ago. I found the 200 to be extremely comfortable with my very average ears, but I couldn't guess about anyone else. It might be a good idea to inquire to John or others here for a comparison of the depth in the earcups of *both* the HP100 and 200, so you can know how the 200 differs from your HP100.