SoundMagic IEM's mini-review

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by dalethorn, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Thanks to Marcus at Headfonics, I'm able to offer a brief impression of some SoundMagic IEM's:

Summarizing the following based on the best fit I could get. Going deeper into the ear canal, the sound of these becomes warmer and the bass more extended, but I didn't get the sense that bass impact changes much as long as you get an effective seal in the ear canal to begin with.

E10: Bass sounds like a more-or-less neutral headphone, mids are clear and uncolored, treble is like some of the more treble-oriented hi-fi headphones - Shure 1840, SoundMagic HP100 etc. No harshness or excessive sibilants.

E30: This was a difficult fit because of the angled earpieces, so just my best guess. Bass seems average (not strong), mids are uncolored, treble is soft.

EH11: Bass is somewhere between neutral and slightly boomy, mids are uncolored, treble is soft.

This was my first experience with IEM's since having an Etymotic briefly 10 years ago. I'm amazed that such fidelity comes out of these tiny earpieces, and while I've found that regular headphones vary quite a bit in midrange colorations, these 3 IEM's have no colorations that were obvious to me in a 30-minute listening session. Then again, these are all SoundMagic brand, and the HP100 headphone I have is equally clear and uncolored in the midrange.

Other users may find that their experience, especially in the bass, is much better if they get a better seal with these. Mine sealed OK, which is easy enough for me to tell, but I can also hear a significant difference just by pressing on the earpieces slightly when music is playing. The tip size used will probably affect how deeply into the ear canal these IEM's can go.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The quality of the SoundMAGIC in-ears is really surprising at their very cheap price. It demonstrates what can be achieved if a company really cares about quality - SoundMAGICs chief designer also owns the company which is the most obvious explanation for the care and attention given to relatively inexpensive products. It doesn't surprise me how popular they are now - everyone loves a bargain!:D

3. marcusd

marcusd Member

I preferred the E30 overall due to the slightly more balanced presentation but the E10 had a better fit and the EH11 not to my taste that much. The tips can be changed though and I would start there to get a better seal.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The experience was certainly unique. Just changing tips on the angled earpieces was a challenge. I finally got new tips on, but it sure made me wonder why it was so easy with the others but so difficult with the M30.