SoundMAGIC PL30 iPhone remote retrofit

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by donaldtheman, Dec 16, 2010.

1. donaldtheman

donaldtheman New Member

I'm very interested in the SoundMAGIC PL30 in-ear headphones (good quality at the right price point), the only downside being the lack of in-line iPhone/iPod remote. I've been using Apple's In-ear Headphones (the ones with twin drivers) but the right ear's stopped working due to water damage. They have an in-line remote which allows you to play/pause/skip/adjust volume, something I'd really miss if I didn't have it. So much so that I'd consider splicing the remote in to whichever new earphones I bought.

I have a feeling this is ill-advised but I'm not sure there's a better option! What are your thoughts?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Donald

If you are also the man with a soldering iron why not have a go. The trick with thin, highly conductive material is being quick so heat is not melting the cabling. Basically I don't recommend people try this unless they are confident, you sound (on slim evidence) as if you may pull this off - Good luck, let us know!:D

3. ROB_GTR

ROB_GTR New Member

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi ROB_GTR!

Good suggestion, yes the Fiio E1 is great - this will add 60cm to the cable length but there is very little chance of anything going wrong and the E1 will also give an increase in clarity coming from the bottom dock:D