Speak directly from microphone to earphone

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by jivangilad, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jivangilad

jivangilad New Member

I want to hear myself better when I speak.
    ( I want to practice singing, and hear myself well while singing)
    I there a product that enables me speak into a microphone, and hear myself
    on the earphone, at the same time?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

You can get a closed-back headphone with a microphone built into the cord to work with iphones, and possibly other music players and phones. You can use different apps to go to recording mode or whatever is suitable to let you hear what's going into the microphone. But the microphone built into those cords is not very good and does not exclude ambient noise very well, so you could also try the gaming-style headphones that have mics mounted so you can have the mic in front of your mouth. Here's some examples:
    Computer & Gaming Headphones for PC, Mac, Xbox 360, Playstation 360, Wii or PSP

Then if you need still more quality, you can even get mics that plug directly into a music player or iphone etc. that record in stereo with high quality sound, directional patterns etc.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Shure SM58, microphone cable, Beringer mini mixer and pick a vocal multi effects pedal - combine these with a well respected and flat, balanced studio headphone and you will have everything you need to learn to sing like a pro. You can use the mini mixer to put CDs or sound from a laptop or mp3 players through so you can sing along - also you will be able to turn down the treble on the music which will eliminate a bit of the original vocal and allow you to concentrate on your own voice. Also you will then learn what makes your voice sound good and gain some knowledge about what a soundman could do to your voice at a gig. Also this setup can form the basis for a rudimentary home studio, just add a decent but inexpensive soundcard with quality inputs and outputs.

Hope that helps:D

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

It's not a cheap option but it would really help any budding singer. Practicing with a real vocal mic really makes a huge difference to understanding proximity effect and how to use it to make your voice sound stronger with less effort. Good luck jivangilad, singing is a a joyful activity!:)