Sport IEM

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by aeroman, Mar 30, 2011.

1. aeroman

aeroman New Member

I am looking to get some new IEM's for running and in the gym, I have been using Soundmagic PL30's and found these really comfy with good sound quality. I think I got them based on your review of sport earphones, but this doesn't seem to have been updated for a while. Which would you recommend now? Are the PL50's much better than the PL30's? In the review you also suggested the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3, how do these compare? They seem to stick out of your ear quite a bit, will this cause a problem when wearing a hat over the ears? Are there any others you would suggest? Budget would be around £50.
    Cheers

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Aeroman

How strange - I have been updating the Top 10s this week - we have been a little slow in changing these but this is because we have some new functionality being prepared for the website, extra feature, more reviews etc.

PL50 are actually really different sounding to PL30 - a little cold sounding but really detailed, not a good replacement for PL30.

To make a serious difference from the excellent PL30 and retain all their nice features (over ear fit, excellent accessories) the next headphone up I would recommend is the Sennheiser IE6 - These are brilliant but pricey without a giant leap in sound quality though.

Sharing a little secret with you, SoundMAGIC have two new in ears coming soon, they are very excited and have told me they are really proud of them. One of these is an over ear fit - a sort of upgrade for the PL30. These will be available in around 6 weeks and only for a little more than the PL30. If it is an improvement you can bet these will be recommended everywhere and pretty much impossible to beat in the under £50 price category.:D