Stax Earspeakers

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by David1961, Nov 13, 2011.

1. David1961

David1961 New Member

Although I'm new to this forum I've looked through it and have not come across any Stax Electrostatic Headphones which Stax call them Earspeakers, I'm wondering why that is.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. David1961

David1961 New Member

Sorry I've put this in the wrong thread.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I dont know where this discussion ended up but I think the answer is a mixed one. I think STAX wanted to differentiate their product and the Electrostatic technology was more commonly used in speakers. Hifi has traditionally looked down on the headphone, I think that probably has something to do with it. :)

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Stax headphones

I've had the Stax SRX MK3 which was a decent headphone, if a bit bright. It's interesting that the SR-009 flagship seems to be evolving slightly, and I don't know how people relate to those changes when they've already spent $9000 USD on the SR-009 and a very necessary amp that can drive electrostatics (and have the absolute crystal clear quality that the SR-009 would require.)

In my personal opinion, I would not recommend a lesser electrostatic than the SR-009, since that would tend to defeat your purpose in giving up the great convenience of dynamics and locking yourself down to a particular desk where the one and only amp exists that can drive the electrostatic headphone.

Some SR-009 owners (and some more wanna-be owners) report a really fantastic sound with very neutral balance and great detail, but as a precaution note that many people who have tried headphones that have a reputation as very neutral don't like them for being too bland.