Sturdy IEM's

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ben., Feb 15, 2011.

1. ben.

ben. New Member

So my last pair of earphones have broken, a pair of Ultimate Ears SuperFi 4.

Looking for a pair of IEMs that will last me a while (always seems to be the cable or connection that quits on me).
    I don't mind paying as much as £60-70 as long as they last a while.

Previous earphones have been,

Shure E2c's which I enjoyed but found a bit lacking in bass, broke at the Y cable split.
    Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3, great sound but uncomfortable design (the stiff loop over the ears).
    Ultimate Ears SuperFi 4, light, very comfortable. Shame the 3.5mm plug now seems to be dodgy.

Listen to a wide range of music but mainly prog rock/metal.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers
    Ben

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Ben

Cabling has a nasty habit of going on in ears - Copper is the material of choice for music cabling due to conducting electricity brilliantly. Most metals that do are soft and brittle and this is why audio cabling needs to be babied a bit. Full size headphones have thicker heavier cable (copper is also very heavy) normally with more shielding which is why they last longer. Obviously the cabling on in-ears cannot be this heavy or they would be very uncomfortable but this is why your cabling goes so often. Any decent in ears will have copper cabling (because it sounds better) and are therefore doomed to eventually break just down to normal movement.

Having said that all headphones are not equal and if you lead an active life this is definitely something to consider.

What MP3 player are you using?

3. ben.

ben. New Member

Hi Robin,

Using an ipod touch 1g on the go and my laptop at work.

Wouldn't say I lead on active life but my earphones travel with me wherever I go (walk to work/shops etc).

I suppose I will need to learn to take better care of my next pair and look for an angled 3.5mm jack instead of the straight plug (which is what my UE 4's are/where).

Cheers
    Ben

4. RobinHiFi

I don't think it is anything you are specifically doing - it is more that they are doomed to the cable dying before the drivers. An active life just shortens this time.:)

5. RobinHiFi

Will a right angle cable fit your iPod? Is the socket recessed?

6. ben.

ben. New Member

Right angle plug will definitely fit my ipod, as I have tested a pair of Sennheiser CX300's with it before (really didnt like them!).

Guess I could just buy a cheap pair, that way I wont be so disappointed when they break :)

Ben

7. RobinHiFi

8. ben.

ben. New Member

Went for a pair of Sleek Audio SA1, at least they have detachable/replaceable cables!
    The modular design of them sounds interesting, looking forward to trying them out.

Ben