Sub £100 closed back

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Xenon, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Xenon

Xenon New Member

So I just used to use any old crap I had laying around until I got a set of SoundMagic E10 from here simply on the basis that they were red and well recommended. They also happened to be mind blowing good in comparison to what I had been using for ear buds at work.

I'm in quite a busy office - long hair doesn't help people identify that I've got my buds in (often turn around only to see people have been talking to me while I was oblivious!) so looking to get some full size w'noise reduction.

Mostly listen to Metal w' a side of 60's psychedelic rock.

Don't like alot/overbearing bass which tends to have been present in most cheaper sets I have tried recently (sony, plantronics).

Here's a few benchmark tracks I'd rate headphones on if it might help with advice.

Stones From the Sky by Neurosis on Spotify
    Ungrateful Are The Dead by Graveyard on Spotify
    Corrosion Of Conformity on Spotify
    Obsidian Night by Jex Thoth on Spotify
    There Will Be Blood by Burnt By The Sun on Spotify
    Day 69 by Decapitated on Spotify

Any help most welcome

-Ta Chris.

Edit : I normally enjoy researching potential purchases but this is entirely new to me and like navigating a mine field!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I don't know if you have a limit on price, but if you scroll down to the ATH M50, that would be my first choice for rock, punk, metal etc., since it has great hi-fi sound and the highs are soft enough that you won't get much harshness with typical recordings. For more fidelity and increased high frequency detail the German Maestro 8.35D is a great choice, and for even more fidelity and high frequency detail (plus astounding bass similar to the M50), the SoundMagic HP100 is excellent.

Closed Back Headphones

3. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Was looking to go sub £100 but could save a little if you think £50 more on the budget would bring a much better sound quality. I know that's entirely a personal and subjective view point as I've used buds that have been twice the price of the E10's yet delivered lack luster sound.

Spotted the Audio Technica ATH-PRO5MK2 I'm a sucker for a discount.

Anyone know if there are £100 - £150 price range sets in hifi's demo room?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

5. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Thanks I'll have to check those out.