Sub £100 Closed Portables needed...

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by pds1982, Jul 22, 2010.

1. pds1982

pds1982 New Member

Hi, the left ear in my AKG430's went the other day and the warranty doesn't appear to cover it. Not that I won't be trying. However, I've found the sound to bee too quiet and although the clarity was good, the bass was distant.

So I'm probably going to get another pair and sell the others I have. In-ear cause me no end of problems with them falling out, so I'm sticking with closed phones.

I'll list my requirements, if anyone could recommend a few pairs I'd appreciate it, cheers.

- Must be less than £100, pref closer to £50 if possible
    - Cable can't be ludicrously small/long (learnt from CX95's..!), I'm about 6ft tall
    - Cable shouldn't be too prone to breaking (learnt from 430's!)
    - Use my phone as mp3 player, which will soon prob be a HTC. Not bothered about having a mic at all, I'll just unplug to talk...
    - Nothing too quiet
    - Listen to all sorts, but a lot of electronic and hip-hop
    - Use walking around busy London streets and occasionally on the train, bus and tube, so I'd rather they weren't MASSIVE (although the 430's were probably a tad small)

Thanks for your help

2. pds1982

pds1982 New Member

Can anyone help?

I'm thinking it's between:

1. Aiaiai tracks - slight concern over style over quality and volume though

2. C-Jays - Semi-open, but these are going to leak too much aren't they?

3. PX 200-ii - slightly more than I'd like to spend

4. - Breo De Janeiro Folding Closed-Back Headphones - I know nothing of these

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Closed Back Portable Headphones under £100

The AIAIAI Tracks are particularly impressive for a 'fashion' headphone and do a decent job of isolating noise with their closed back design. They are easily in the same league as the Sennheiser PX200-II - if anything I prefer the more detailed sound of the Tracks. The sound is really clear and well balanced. The Headfonia blog recently wrote a detailed review of the AIAIA Tracks that is well worth reading.

The C-Jays would indeed leak sound in and out with their semi-open design. They are not bad, but the PX200-II or Tracks have better sound.

The Breo De Janeiro is a good budget choice with slightly larger earpads/earcups than the others you mentioned (meaning good sound isolation). Sound is again well balanced, but the AIAIAI Tracks really are worth the extra in my opinion for their clarity.