Sub £50 IEMs

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by kr1s, Sep 19, 2011.

1. kr1s

kr1s New Member

Hi

I very recently bought a pair of Sound Magic E10 earphones from Hi-fi Headphones.

I really liked them - the EQ was almost perfect for me (perfect would probably be typified by my old Sennheiser PX100 open backed on-ear headphones), and much better than the Sennheiser CX300II I had been using.

If I had to fault the E10 I would say very occasionsally I did find them very slightly buzzy at the top end on some recordings.

Sadly I left them on a plane on Friday without much hope of getting them back so am now looking at replacing them.
    Having discovered this forum though, I thought I'd just ask first: is there anything else with a similar EQ that I should consider?

I'd like to keep my budget below £50 (in case I do the same thing next time I fly!).

I listen mainly to rock/indie and need something that doesn't sound harsh on lower fidelity indie recordings.
    To give some other reference points, I have a set of iGrado but do not find the sound "open" enough for my taste (possibly due to a comparitively subdued top end?) and I had a pair of Shure E2c and, although incredibly clear, I found the EQ far too harsh (I think strong in the midrange but lacking in bass and treble).

Many thanks for your help

Chris

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I have not heard or seen anything I would put on a par with the E10 for under £50. Too many features are way above the spec you would expect at the price point, I would actually say you have to spend twice their price to definitely improve on the build or sound quality. Here is a list of similar sounding earphones.

Beyerdynamic DTX 101iE In-Ear Isolating Headphones Black
    £69.95

Sennheiser IE6 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (IE 6)
    £117.95

Ultimate Ears 700 Sound Isolating Earphones
    £136.96

Klipsch Image X10 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones (Image X 10)£189.96

3. kr1s

kr1s New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    That is what I expected - I will get some more E10.

Chris