Suggestions needed :)

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Kranko, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Kranko

Kranko New Member

Hi, I'm looking for a new set of headphones (full size) for use on my computer (listening to music only). I'm ok as far as dac's and headphone amps are concerned, the real question I have is that of finding a set of phones that would fall between some hd650's and monster beat pro's.

I guess I'm looking for something that delivers a good open soundstage (like the hd650's) but also provide a deeper bass sound (but not to the scale of monster beat pro's).

I'm no audiophile, but I enjoy listening to music and feel the urge to find a compromise using the two examples above.

Not overly fussed about cost, but I'd rather not spend a fortune as this will be my third set of headphones and I doubt my wife will understand.

My music taste is all over the shop, but if I had to narrow it down to a genre I'd say indie/alternative.

Grado's have my interest at the moment, along with b&w p5's. But I'd much rather get some feedback from the experienced listeners on this forum.

Appreciate any feedback.
    Many thanks!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Which headphone?

I used to have the Grado 325, and the Sennheiser 600 and 650. I listen to a wide range of genres, and much indie pop songs. I currently use a Shure 940 which sounds to me like an improved Senn 650. It is a closed-back design, but I feel or hear no difference between that aspect and the 600/650, because they seem identical in the feel of the earcups. In fact the 940 looks and feels like a 650 in earcups in spite of being closed-back, and the sound is magnificent.

Edit: I also have the B&W P5 which my wife uses, but the bass is soft and the highs are muffled compared to the Shure 940.