Suggestions needed :)

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Kranko, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Kranko

Kranko New Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi, I'm looking for a new set of headphones (full size) for use on my computer (listening to music only). I'm ok as far as dac's and headphone amps are concerned, the real question I have is that of finding a set of phones that would fall between some hd650's and monster beat pro's.

I guess I'm looking for something that delivers a good open soundstage (like the hd650's) but also provide a deeper bass sound (but not to the scale of monster beat pro's).

I'm no audiophile, but I enjoy listening to music and feel the urge to find a compromise using the two examples above.

Not overly fussed about cost, but I'd rather not spend a fortune as this will be my third set of headphones and I doubt my wife will understand.

My music taste is all over the shop, but if I had to narrow it down to a genre I'd say indie/alternative.

Grado's have my interest at the moment, along with b&w p5's. But I'd much rather get some feedback from the experienced listeners on this forum.

Appreciate any feedback.
    Many thanks!
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    Which headphone?

I used to have the Grado 325, and the Sennheiser 600 and 650. I listen to a wide range of genres, and much indie pop songs. I currently use a Shure 940 which sounds to me like an improved Senn 650. It is a closed-back design, but I feel or hear no difference between that aspect and the 600/650, because they seem identical in the feel of the earcups. In fact the 940 looks and feels like a 650 in earcups in spite of being closed-back, and the sound is magnificent.

Edit: I also have the B&W P5 which my wife uses, but the bass is soft and the highs are muffled compared to the Shure 940.