The best set of headphones for iphone (mp3) listening?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Vasilis_Achilles, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Vasilis_Achilles

Vasilis_Achilles New Member

Dear all

I have spent some time reading through the posts here and I am very impressed at everyone's knowledge and willigness to help. If i could trouble you all with a few questions as I would like to buy some headphones for listening to music.

My device is Iphone 4s
    Format is mp3 (or the itunes equivalent)
    Audio quality ranges from 128kps to 320kps (depending on source)
    I like all music but mostly listen to Dance/House
    Main usage for headphones - gym and commute (noisy places)
    I am not concerned with disturbing others but I would like to contain as much sound possible so good noise isolation would be beneficial.
    My main objective is volume. The more the better as the iphone and EU regulations insist that the device be rather quiet to avoid ear damage.
    My price range is up to £100 but I would gladly increase this budget for the right pair!
    I use only IN-EAR headphones

What is my best option here?
    When mp3 tracks are played at high volumes the sound gets crackly and distorted. What headphones could handle this best? And what pair gives me the highest VOLUME?

I've read up on the E10's and B&W C5 headphones - both at different ends of the price range.

Does a more expensive pair work better ehen the audio is standard mp3, is it worth it to go mpre expensive?

Many thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.

Vas

2. headphoners

headphoners New Member

what is your budget? or you just want to get the best one

3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Vasilis_Achilles,

Generally the more you spend on earphones the harder they are to drive and the less forgiving they become with low quality audio. So if you want earphones that can go louder easily then these are worth a look at (in order of sensitivity):

Audiofly AF56
    Beyerdynamic DTX 101iE
    SoundMAGIC E10
    SoundMAGIC E30

4. Vasilis_Achilles

I am looking to spend under £100 however, i would go more expensive for the extra volume.

Any suggestions?

Best,
    Vas

5. Vasilis_Achilles

Thank you John. I will look into these. i actually nearly bought the E10 based on good reviews and price.

Would a really expensive set like Monster Turbine Pro Gold be wasted on ipod/ophone music?

6. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

I haven't heard them myself but from what I read online they have big bass and recessed mids. I think the sound will be better overall from the earphones I mentioned but if your main priority is bass then the Monsters might be worth a look at.

7. enjoyheadphone

enjoyheadphone New Member

I think the most important thing is to consider how to sound headphones