The perfect music track

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by dalethorn, Dec 31, 2012.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

2. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Hey Dale, I just checked out Spotify. They have 7 albums by him but that track is not on there. Do you know which album it came from, if any?

I am playing with the GMP 8.35D today, so will check out some of this music. Thanks for the recommendation :).

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The short version (4:18) is on My Oracle Lives Uptown, and the longer mixes (highly recommended) are on the Optical Illusions EP.

BTW, I ordered a ATH ESW11LTD. It looks similar to the ESW9a, but the earcups are larger and the drivers are 53 mm I think. I'm hoping it sounds especially good since it's a special order from Japan only, and $740 USD. My wife recently gave up her B&W P5 after a 2-year run for the ESW9a.

You've probably seen my progress report on the M100 - I was hoping to make it sound more like a Sennheiser Momentum without advanced EQ, but while bass reduction does wonders, it ends up with that tunnel effect as I described. It's actually not hard to get used to and enjoy as long as you don't compare it to anything else. What's bizarre (if you don't know the deal) is to see how it's been relegated to the portables section of head-fi with a whole series of IEMs. I searched that portables section for another large circumaural headphone, and while there may be one or two there, they're not obvious - it's basically IEMs and the M100. I wonder if Val knows the deal - someday when the pain wears off I'm going to ask.

4. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Oh the good old M100. Yes I totally know what you mean, it's fine until you listen to something else. What does your wife think of the M100 btw? Mine hates it with a more firey passion than I do! I see another reviewer has given it 5 stars on Amazon.co.uk and says it's better than any Sennheiser!!! Oh wow what a statement! but then again the LP2 has got about fifteen 5 star reviews on there... yeah right!!

Great news on the ESW11LTD!! I really want one of those! Can't wait to see what you think of them!!

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

My wife thought the bass-reduced M100 was about as good as the Amperior, but "not quite the equal" (heh) of the better Sennheisers. And she's quite familiar with the HD800, 600, 650...

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Today for the first time in a month, I went back to the Shure 1840 and played some familiar tracks, then played two dozen of my most recently acquired tracks. Everything sounded fine. I realize now that I'm not as far over to the "dark side" as I thought. The Momentum and bass-reduced M100 are slightly bassier than the 1840, but not enough to characterize any of the 3 as genre-specific compared to each other. It was the Sennheiser Amperior that had the really heavy mid-upper bass emphasis that made the 1840 sound thin by comparison, and that Amperior is now with a new owner, in Brazil if I remember correctly. I never found a satisfactory EQ to compensate any of that emphasis, but I did find a setting in Foobar2000 that reduced some of the boominess without altering the overall signature to any degree.