Time to upgrade, but man is it hard

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by fatscot, Feb 26, 2011.

1. fatscot

fatscot New Member

Hello folks,

I feel that the time has come to upgrade my current set of headphones, a very beaten pair of sennheiser CX550s. Unfortunately, with all the choice that is available I find myself drowning and unable to make a decision. Each time I get near a potential solution, I come across a additional data that throws a massive spanner into the decision; a £100 mistake is not really cool.

Based on that, I thought I would be sensible and ask for your help. My current criteria are:

- I have a hard maximum ceiling of £100 to spend on some headphones.
    - I like to listen to all kind of music and there is no real fixed amounts to each, my particular favourites are drum and bass, Jazz, classic rock and soul.
    - I like a big and lively bass with clarity and detail, but I do like overly "bright" sounding headphones.

My headphone history has been:

Sennheiser cx300 - enjoyed the bass and warmth
    Klipsch S4 - Loved the clarity the general balance of the sound, but the bass was a little weak. I also found them uncomfortable to listen to for long periods of time, they lacked warmth.
    Goldring gx200 - Very similar to the klipsch, but less brightness, so were easier to listen but were not a warm sound.
    Sennheiser CX550 style - These have been my favourite to date, the bass and warmth of the CX300 and the additional clarity of the GX200. Really easy to listen to for long periods of time even, without comply earbuds.

Based on all of that, what in ear phones would you buy? Oh, and does my taste put me in the neutral or natural camp; these terms have been bugging me?

Thanks

f

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

3. fatscot

fatscot New Member

Hey Robin HiFi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

Of the two phones, I had considered the DTX100 but I discounted it as people said they felt there was not much between the DTX80 and 100 particularly in terms of quality of sound. The second thing was the DTX100 was a Whathifi pick and I tend to find that they are biased towards music types that don't favour bass, so their concept of bassy is more beatles than jay-z.
    - Am i being misguided here on both points?

The IE6 I hadnt even heard off, looking at the picture it appears that you have to loop them over the ear.
    - Is that the only way to wear them?
    - How do they compare to the DTX100s in terms of detail, warmth and bass?
    - Are the worth an additional £25?

Also what do you think of the Etymotic ER-6i? And how do they compare to your suggestions above?

Thanks

F

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. RobinHiFi

DTX100 are actually quite bassy, a bit more warm and bigger sounding than the IE6. They sound similar to the DTX80 but there is a bit more detail and a tighter control of the bottom end - although similar DTX100 are definitely better. I know what you mean about What HiFi but there description of this earphone is pretty good.

IE6 are best worn over ear so if that design doesn't appeal best to avoid. Look out for cheap Super Fi 5 EB (Extended Bass) as they are discontinued and there is a possibility of picking some up cheap. A word of warning though - They are super bassy!:)

5. Low4

Low4 New Member

Was in the same boat as you a few days ago - around £100 budget and hard research on what's available, the reviews, techy stuff......lots of useful informative info on all aspects (especially the fake items and the dodgy website sellers!). Currently using budget Sony in-ear headphones which are around 5 years old, listen to internet radio, dab radio, music downloads from web, occasional CD's and thought an upgrade was in order. Finally, the research paid off and at double my original budget was swayed into going for the UE TripleFi 10vi which would also work with my iP4 - expecting delivery tomorrow.......

6. RobinHiFi

If you are willing to follow Low4 into higher budget territory the Sennheiser IE8 are warm and smooth with an excellent bottom end but retain plenty of detail. Not fatiguing at all - Triple Fi 10 are excellent value for money too, not quite as big at the bottom but really powerful and plenty of detail, very nice!

7. Low4

Low4 New Member

WOW! Just about says it, these UE TripleFi 10's are an absolute musical joy! Blimey, wish I had upgraded earlier - top notch build quality and listening depth but must say it takes a while adjusting the fitment around the ears. Once done, they are really comfy and do not cause any undue bother. Listening on standard fitted caps but will experiment with other sizes later (just can't get them off! heh, heh). User Manual (single page) is extremely basic without any fitting diagrams which would have helped save time with undue fiddling. The storage box is impressive and so is Hifihead's service (delivered within 24 Hrs).