To Beyer or not to Beyer?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Jimmy Ninja, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Jimmy Ninja

Jimmy Ninja New Member

Hi there!
    Was wondering if you could help me with my headphone dilemma - I've looked at your great website, and read a number of threads on the forum, so am a little clearer about what I'm after, but still just need a bit of clarification!

Basically, I'm looking for a new set of cans to replace my severely battered and twisted Sennheiser HD25 SPs, which Ive had for a number of years. I'm producing predominently Drum n Bass, using a dual core PC, through an E-MU Tracker Pre USB external soundcard. I'm looking to spend £150 tops....

Ive done a bit of research via your site and others, and have (sort of!) narrowed it down to a few -

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω
    Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones
    Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones
    KRK KNS 8400 Professional Headphones

I apologise in advance if I'm barking up the wrong tree with my choices so far! Also, I know you dont stock the KRKs, but am interested to hear your opinion on them all the same...

So, just a couple of questions really -
    What would you recommend for my setup?
    Could I opt for the 250Ω version of the Beyers with my setup, or am I better off with the 80s?
    I'm hoping I'm correct in my assumption that I'm better off with closed back rather than open? (Given that my 'studio' is in my lounge that is also often occupied by my missus and our little daughter...!!)

I'm looking for something that'll give me clarity across all frequencies, but in particular the bottom end.

I hope you can help - your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the essay....

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I would right away recommend the Beyers as they will give the closest result to monitor speakers. They are the most accurate of the choices (which are all valid and good choices), but also they are an industry standard which is a great thing to get involved with. These are used in TV and Film as well as music production and most BBC Radio - I think it is great to get used to the tools you find in pro situations.

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)
    £129.96

The 80ohm version is probably the best option as it gives you the widest spectrum of uses. Even if you are confronted with equipment with powerful output it would be difficult to see these being sensitive enough to be damaged, it is always important to be careful with volume if using devices you are not familiar with. They are reasonably dynamic but not overly so and have good stereo imaging.

I have not tried the KRK's, they sound like they are probably great but I cannot see them being more applicable to this task than the Beyers.

3. Jimmy Ninja

Jimmy Ninja New Member

Thanks so much Robin - really appreciate your quick response and help! Well, thats made my mind up then, the Beyers it is!!

Just gathering the funds at the mo, so will be back to purchase em ASAP....

Thanks again
    Jim

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Let us know what you think when you get them!:D

5. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Once a Beyer, always a Beyer :)