TV headphones around £100+

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by regen70, Jul 31, 2010.

1. regen70

regen70 New Member

My 30 year old Sennheisers have finally given up the ghost and I'm looking for a replacement set that will be used mainly for listening to opera and concerts on the TV via the TV headphone socket.

I'm looking for a wired set with comfort over lengthy listening sessions being a major consideration as well as sound quality of course. They could be closed or open and a price range of up to £100 - £150.

Thank you for any suggestions

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Regen70,

For using headphones with a TV Closed or Open back is normally the most important consideration - people are normally trying to shut out external noise or or keep the noise of the TV in - but if you have the luxury of being able to use an Open back headphone they are definitely best for this purpose.

Open back headphones give a wider spacial depth (soundstage) with more 3 Dimensional movement and an airy natural feel. This really helps you lose yourself in a recording of a Concert or an Opera or even an Action Film (if you're reading this thread and you have not tried headphones with TV, Concerts and Film give it a go as most people find headphones put you right in the action in a way that speakers rarely manage).

The second important consideration is comfort. Most headphones can be described as comfortable but not all are a couple of hours of Opera comfortable!

First you may want to check out our best tv headphones review, but below are some more ideas.

I think this is a sensible budget - here are a few suggestions that I believe would work really well -

AKG K-240 MK II Semi-Open Studio Headphones (K240 MK-II)
    £95.95

These are Studio headphones but there is no reason to not use them at home. Their Studio pedigree means they have to be comfortable for long periods, they are a little less dynamic than my next suggestions but are a great all rounder for the price.

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Open Back Hi-Fi Headphones (AD 700)
    £109.95

Super comfy, these feel like they are floating just above your head! Due to their self adjusting fit and large open back vents AD700's are not great for walking, jogging or commuting but are perfectly suited to home use. Clear and sharp with plenty of detail they have a laid back warmth and really spacious feel. Perfect for Opera, Classical, Folk and live Concerts.

Sennheiser HD595 Open Back Headphones (HD 595 Audiophile)
    £126.95

Here the earpads are the same as the excellent HD600 and HD650 (soft, velvety and well cushioned), I think this headphone is often overlooked probably as it occupies 4th place in the brilliant HD series. The unit is lightweight, neat and really well made with that silky Sennheiser signature warmth and impressive detail at this price point. Classic Sennheiser!

One last suggestion would be -

Ultrasone HFI-780 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 780)
    £178.95

A little over budget but if you want to get the same HiFi sound from some closed backs which could then be used on the go or for travelling (or just to shut the noisy world out completely), the Ultrasone amazing S Logic technology gives these well isolated closed backs a vivid open back sound.

I would probably go for the Sennheiser HD595 as I think these fit your requirements very accurately and if you have had Sennheisers before you are unlikely to be anything but impressed.