TV Headphones that allow TV to play audio as normal

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by wainwda, Dec 8, 2011.

1. wainwda

wainwda New Member

Dec 7, 2011

My father's hearing is not getting any better and he struggles to hear the TV sometimes. I would like to get him some headphones for the TV so he can turn the volume up and hear what is going on, but I don't want the headphones to hog the audio. I want the audio to play normally so everyone in the room can hear it as well as giving my father an opportunity to hear through the headphones.

I suspect this doesn't have much to do with the headphones and is more to do with the way the source is controlled, but I don't know where to start. Can someone help me with this please?

Many thanks,
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Wainwda

Your suspicions are correct to a certain extent. Mostly, if you use the headphone output on a TV it will cut out the audio to the speakers. A very small number of TVs have independant volumes for headphones and speakers, you can check the Instruction Manual for this but it is rare.

A better way to do this is to buy a SCART to Phono/RCA Output adaptor. These convert the SCART output at the back of the TV into a line level output which will not be affected by any of the controls for the TV.

With this method you will need to power the headphones. If they are wired you will need an amp to adjust volume. If you go for wireless these have an integrated amp so you don't need anything else.

For Senior users wireless is safer - no trailing cables - Normal headband headphones are normally accepted but some older folks prefer the Stethoscope style headphones which are designed to be more easily adjusted by the wearer. Here are some ideas for the headphones -

Sennheiser RS120 Wireless Headphones (RS 120 Wireless Headset)
    £76.96 - Basic level of sound that is acceptable from these analogue wireless headphones. Impressive for there type, I would not go any cheaper than this. These are comfy and well built.

TV Ears 2.3 Wireless Voice Clarifying Listening System (TV-Ears)
    £89.95- Really popular in the USA, these are a less expensive take on the typical audiologist recommended Stethoscope style headphones.

Sennheiser RS170 Wireless Headphones (RS 170 Wireless Headset)
    £153.95- Really impressive closed back full size headphone. Kleer Audio is used to make these one of the very best wireless headphones available.

Sennheiser Set 840 TV Wireless TV Listening System (Set 840-TV)
    £259.99- These are the ones normally recommended by Audiologists, very impressive and completely designed as an assistive listening device.