Two DACs/AMP - Office and Mobile - £100 budget

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by sjparker, Jan 24, 2014.

1. sjparker

sjparker New Member

As per another thread regarding a headphone upgrade, I'm also looking for two DACs/AMPs to go with my new cans.

I've got a budget of £100 each. One will be needed for my home office and one for travel to go with my iphone/ipad/laptop, whichever I'm using for my sounds in a hotel room!

I've looked at the FiiO e10 so far for office, which comes in well under budget but I've seen it gets good reviews.

Are there any recommendations for each required?

Any suggestions of comments much appreciated

2. sjparker

sjparker New Member

After doing a bit more research this evening, I'm looking towards the Yulong U100(£50 over budget!) as it can power my headphones and desktop speakers in my home office and the Fiio E17 for portable - Can anyone recommend anything better for the money?

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I don't think you could do better than the E17 for portable use - I have it and the E07k - highly recommended. The U100 might be a great choice - don't know - but if you get it be sure to buy from an authorized dealer who can exchange it immediately if needed. It's been around for several years, and replacements could be a problem.

4. randomkid

randomkid New Member

You should go for a combo, it's a bit easier and allows up to £200 if you were looking at £100 for each separate part. I highly recommend the new JDS Labs C5D personally, a very neutral sound with a 3 stage bass boost if you need it, low and high gain and also a digital volume control which means no channel imbalance at low volumes.

5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

For your home office the E17 will be perfect - the E17 will also be great with your laptop.

When using your iPhone or iPad the E17 will just act as an amplifier, you won't be using the DAC function. Not to worry though - the amplifier in the E17 is very good :)

FiiO E17