ultrasone help needed please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by johnnyboy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

I have a limited budget (£70) , and I think I have narrowed my choice down to Ultrasone HFI450 or Ultrasone Pr0 450 or Fostex TH7 can somebody tell me the difference between these . I'm not particularly bothered by thumping bass . If you have any other suggestions in my budget I would be grateful for any help . Thanks in advance for any help given .

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Ultrasone HFI 450 are the brightest of the three with the focus mostly on detail, they could be more detailed but impressive at this price. Ultrasone Pro 450 are a bit more focussed on a flat but accurate EQ - maybe not as fun sounding but with a dry feel that some would like. Fostex TH7 are very fun sounding, they have the strongest bass. Preferences and usage should guide you here - Musicians using this to mix or record should go for the Ultrasone Pro 450, classical fans or people who want an introspective listen into their favourite tunes go for the Ultrasone HFI 450 and Pop, Metal and Electronic fans may be best off with the Fostex TH7.:)

3. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

My musical taste is very varied from 10cc to black uhuru , Donald Fagen to Chic , probably the only music I dont like is heavy Metal and todays dance music so do you think the Hfi 450 would suit me best then . Source of music is either Marantz cr601 , ipod touch or google nexus 4 , also would they be suitable for use on a laptop ? Thanks for the reply

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The Ultrasone HFI 450 is the one which would reveal the most detail and most accurate sense of space - give these a go. If you buy them from HH they can always be returned and swapped as long as they come back in as new :) It is also much easier to choose once you have a benchmark so even if they aren't right this would be a helpful first step.