Ultrasone PRO750, hollow sound?

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by PhilipBirk, Jul 19, 2010.

1. PhilipBirk

PhilipBirk New Member

Hi I just received my Ultrasone PRO 750 phones today (very fast shipment btw! thumbs up).

So far I've only used them a couple of hours, but they got a weird hollow sound.
    It's hard to explain, it sounds a bit like you're in a box with the sound outside the box. It's kind of the same effect I get, when I turn on the active noise canceling on my Goldring NS1000, except it's a lot worse with the PRO750.
    It's especially noticeable on rock and hard rock, where the drums and bass sound faint and mushed together.

I've made sure to screw in the cable properly on the left cub, I've also tried with another cable, the QED cable I got with my NS1000 which can't be screwed into place, but it don't change the sound at all.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to improve this? Is it normal and will it get better with time or?

(btw sorry for any misspelling and perhaps phrases making no sense, English is not my first language, so please do ask if something isn't clear)

2. PhilipBirk

PhilipBirk New Member

Well I fixed (well actually found not fixed) the problem.
    It turns out this is only a problem on my laptop, I don't know why tho, it runs my Goldring perfectly.
    But on my MP3 and Stereo amp they seem to work flawlessly.

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Ultrasone PRO750 headphone amp?

Glad to hear you tracked it down.

Laptop soundcards are notoriously poor quality and often struggle to drive full size headphones. Just looking at the SPL rating of the PRO750 shows that it's actually relatively hard to drive (although the impedance is low).

One way to solve this is to use an external USB DAC, e.g. iBasso D2. Not long ago CNET did a review of the iBasso D2 that is worth reading.

4. PhilipBirk

PhilipBirk New Member

ahh, I just have a (dumb perhaps) question about how the iBasso D2 works.

Does it work like an external soundcard? Meaning I pop it into my laptop USB, and then I can just plug my phones into the iBasso, or do I still have to have the iBasso connected to my laptop via jack.

A quick answer is appreciated, I'm testing out another amp (Argon HA1) at the moment, but I only have until tomorrow afternoon to return it if I decide to go for the iBasso instead.

(Another thing if you have any knowledge of the Argon HA1, how does it compare to the iBasso as an AMP?)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  5. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Ultrasone PRO750 headphone amp

Yes, the iBasso D2 is a combined amp and DAC so as you say it works like a soundcard from the computer's perspective.

The Argon HA1 is just a headphone amp and would simply amplify the signal (not a particularly good thing when using with an internal soundcard).

I'm afraid I don't have experience with the Argon HA1 as an amp.