UM2's... washed up... what next?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by andycapp999, Apr 12, 2011.

1. andycapp999

andycapp999 New Member

I have just managed to wash my set of UM2's in the washing machine.... Very upset.. however i am unsure what to do.. should i get another set? the fit and sound of the UM2's was fantastic and i dont want a set which is worse however i dont want to pay a price tag of £500! for a set of headphones which is not really much better than the UM2s. !!

Is it maybe worth looking at the UM3's are thay much better ? what about the sure 535's seen them for 350 are they really much better than the um2's? The gadget show recommeds the monster turbines.. has anyone had experuince of these compared to the um2's ?

I really just want good value for money a gret fit and a headphone which does my music justice while looking great can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance..
    AndyCapp

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Andycapp999

First of all may your Westone UM2's Rest In Peace, sounds like they were a loyal companion who met with an untimely end, my thoughts are with you and your ears at this time of crisis :)

That out of the way this is obviously a huge topic, since you have had one of earphones with the best sound quality to price ratio I can see how tough it would be to see what should come next. Although I am happy to answer any questions you have, I bet this excellent Head-fi comparison thread will help narrow the choices a little. I really like the reviewing in this thread and think it is a pretty good attempt at being impartial. Ask me anything that this thread doesn't help with.

As you obviously know sound quality is highly subjective but with a bit of info and a few opinions from others you should trust yourself to make a good choice as, in my experience, people get a good feel for what will suit them after comparing reviews of headphones they have owned to ones they are interested in.

3. andycapp999

andycapp999 New Member

Thanks

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the response i had a real detailed look at the thread you suggested.. the 1969's look like the ones i may go for the only reservation is of couse the cost. 400 dollars plus getting moulds done and shipping.. do you know of any uk based companies who have a simular quality solution as the 1969'ers ?

The thread does not include any reviews on the 535's is this intentional? do you guys not really rate them as a solution?

FYI the types of muisc i tend to listen to is D&B indie rock, trance, and hip hop.. and i am unsure if this would change the type make and model of bud i should look at ?

Thanks for your help in advance.. a mourning um2 owner ;

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I really like the SE535, from what you have said I see no reason that you would not really like them. Maybe they were left out as there are so many threads which discuss them. Unless someone has very specific tastes the SE535 are very hard to argue with as they sound detailed, weighty and natural with a surprising sound stage.

You can add these to the Shures to get a custom fit -

Custom Earphone Sleeves for Standard Earphones
    £89.95

I have a pair of these -

ACS T1 Custom Earphones
    £649.02

The price is very frightening and almost certainly of girlfriend angering proportions but I love them to bits, they are my favourite earphone that I have tried and not really a million miles away from the SE535 in feel, amazing isolation though! You cannot clearly make out anything which is going on outside.:)