Upgrade From AKG Y40

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Empato, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Empato

Empato New Member

Hi,
    Newcomer to the forum. I recently bought a pair of AKG Y40's from Richer sounds and after a week or so of listening i have come to the conclusion that these simply arent for me. The sound just doesnt sound clear to me and i find bass sounds really muddy. Sorry i dont know how best to describe the problem.

I am therefore looking to upgrade and have set aside up to around £300 to get myself something that i will be more happy with.

So far, the headphones that have grabbed my attention, although i need to go find more examples to listen to are the Bowers and Wilkins P3's or P5's and the Bang and Olufsen H6's. ( iheard the B&O's in a Stormfront store and it was these that really got me thinking about a good set of headphones) I have also been advised to take a look at the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 as i use my Mac to listen to music sometimes.

One of the things i have been wondering about is would i get better quality with something like the P3's and the dragonfly or would i be better to spend my money on the P5's or even the B&O's and get a Dragonfly (or even a dedicated headphone amp) at a later stage? I also currently listen to music quite a bit on an iPhone 5s, so something that would sound good on that alone would be a help.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The P3 isn't going to sound better than the Y40 I'm sure. The P5 is much better, and the H6 even better than the P5. The Dragonfly (or comparable USB DAC/amps like the Meridian Explorer, HRT Microstreamer, Audioengine D3, etc.) will have enough power to drive the P5 or H6, but not much more than that, since the USB line has to supply all power to the DAC/amp. Dedicated DAC/amp combinations can be found here, and they do offer better sound.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/headphone-amps-dacs.html

3. Empato

Empato New Member

Thanks Dale, I shall take a look at your link.

It looks like i might have to spend my upper limit on headphones then to improve the sound as im really not happy with what im getting from the Y40's.

I guess the other lesson is that i have to spend longer listening to my shortlisted headphones.

4. Empato

Empato New Member

Just had a very quick look at Dale's link before i go to work. Those portable amplifiers look interesting, but would i be correct in saying they only work with Android phones? I have an iPhone.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

As a general rule, USB DACs that are part of amps like the FiiO E17 and E07k work only with computers (as DACs), but some Android devices may have the ability to connect to a USB DAC like those.

The DACs (with headphone amps) that are Apple compatible include the Beyerdynamic A200p at the below link. The A200p is the best deal for Apple devices, until you jump to double that price with something like the Theorem 720 (also link here):

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/beyerdynamic-a200p-portable-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.html

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/cypher-labs-theorem-720-portable-headphone-amp-dac-black.html