Upgrade from Westone UM1

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by alvarog01, May 28, 2013.

1. alvarog01

alvarog01 New Member

Hello,

i am a very happy owner of Westone UM1 since 2006. They costed me about 100 euro but IMO was the best cash i have ever spent on anything. I love them and use on everything from music listening on noisy environments, jogging or gym activities, and of course on music production (i am an amateur guitar player and musician).

I am so glad to have discovered the IEM earphones' world that i am planning to get some major upgrade on them. However, the fact that i cannot try before those expensive shure, westone, etc. models that costs 4 or 5 times more, frightens me about being seduced by some kind of fake "hype".

So, according to the use i do on them... Does the leap from UM1 to Audéo PFE 232 worth the money? I also would appreciate comments from any user that had gone through this way.

Please excuse me for any language mistakes, English is not my native language.

Regards,

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

The UM1 was indeed an excellent choice. I am a big fan of the way Westone earphones are built. Being made for stage use they are built to last.

The UM1 has a single balanced armature driver. Moving up to dual or triple drivers will give you a significant improvement in the range of frequencies the earphone can accurately reproduce, especially bass notes. It's not just marketing hype - you will hear a significant improvement with an earphone like the PFE 232, Westone UM3X, Shure SE535, etc.

One word of warning - Phonak have just stopped producing earphones, so the PFE 232 may be difficult to get support with in the long term.

3. alvarog01

alvarog01 New Member

Hi, thanks for advice. I agree with you on all your points.

I bought one set of 232's one week ago. Having read they come with a dedicated driver for bass, i expected a noticeable improvement on this area... but god this thing is just so bassy!!! even with the grey filters (they are supposed to emphasize the medium range).

Definitely this is a very different sound signature, and my ears still need to get used to it. I began to notice much more details on music that i know very well, even nuances that previously were near inaudible with my old UM1's. This is great when i work as a mixer/producer. But unforgiving when i listen music just for audiophile pleasure.

Regarding to future support, i'll be careful with the cables, and i guess they can tolerate generic Comply foam tips, right? They came in three sizes but only the biggest one could fit fine into my ears.

Did I mention the bass on these IEMs is gorgeous?

Edit: i also noticed that the volume perceived with 232's i way lower compared to UM1's. I need to push down the volumen know on my player when i using 232's.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013