Upgrade my Skullcandy 11mm FMJs

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Zaspath, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Zaspath

Zaspath New Member

Hi,

I have some Skullcandy Chrome (A replacement for a previously failed Skullcandy FMJ set), the fitting is terrible, the weight is such that they slip out of my ears. The sound is bass heavy (when you can get them to sit for a short while in place, I'm probably saying over ear fit would suit me more). I listen to a lot of heavy metal, so I'd like prominent bass but still with a good range response. I was never keen on the Sennheiser CX 300 I had previously either, everyone raved and I didn't get the attraction, I ended up giving them away.

I will be mostly using these on a aging Samsung P3 and my Samsung Galaxy S phone. My budget will be up to £100, one point in Skullcandy's favour was the no quibble replacement on a pair that started to lose volume.

Am I asking for the world for less than £100? ;-)

The Phonak Audéo PFE 012 Earphones caught my attention, are those well suited to my music taste?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Zaspath

It seems to me you like a more balanced sound but you still want it to have authority. You have correctly guessed that this is hard to achieve on a budget.

The Phonak PFE 012 is very neutral and balanced with a little bit extra bass. If you like a warm sound you may find these a little cool but for detail, separation and sound stage they blow away virtually everything else under £100. The 012 is a balanced armature earphone with a single wideband driver, for some these sound perfect but others feel they are a little light sounding. With multiple balanced armatures the best of both worlds can be dialled in, you can get all that detail, separation and wide sound stage but with weight which gives no bloated feeling or distortion.

If you go for an 012 it will almost certainly be the best earphone you have had yet but if you can save up for a bit I know you would enjoy these even more:) -

Klipsch Image X10i Sound Isolating Earphones (Image X 10i)
    £209.95 - slightly scooped mids, these contemporary sounding bass monsters work really well with powerful rock or dance.

Shure SE425 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones in Silver (SE 425)
    £239.95 - I really like these, they sound accurate but powerful

The Phonaks are great and in my opinion as good as it gets at that price.