upgrading from Shure SE115

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by redders74, Jan 21, 2012.

1. redders74

redders74 New Member

I think it's about time that I upgrade from my Shure's. The only thing is what to go for.
    I listen to a wide range of music from Alternative, Soft Rock, RnB and Dancehall so something that is versitle as my music taste would be great.
    It would used with my Ipod Classic and should have good sound insulation as I travel on the tube alot.
    over the ear would be prefered as I think they offer a good secure fit in ear's but can still look at non over the ears so I can make a decision on choice
    I think my max budget would say be £100.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

What did you like and what didn't you like about the Shures?

3. redders74

redders74 New Member

Loved the over the ear method even though it took a while to get used to it. The sound was good but that depended on the placement in the ears which was hit and miss sometimes. did sound like I'm missing something though as the base can be overpowering, like it took over some other sounds if that makes any sense.
    it's like it was over processed and not natural.
    As you can tell I'm a novice when it comes to explaining these things.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

That is a great explanation! Just because there is jargon doesn't mean you have to use it.

So you would like less dominant bass and more precision and a better fit into the ear.

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)
    £89.99

I would definitely recommend these Phonak 012 - They are really popular because they are one of the least expensive balanced armature driver type headphones. This type of driver is capable of much greater detail than a dynamic in ear. They are comfy (over ear fit) and if you have experienced fit problems in the past I would also grab these.

Comply Foam Eartips T-130 Black Medium (3-pairs) + Cleaning Tool
    £19.99

I hate the silicone tips and these have changed my views on IEMs which I could never get comfortable in my ears.

Hope that helps:D