Upgrading from Shure Se310s with around £350 to spend

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Noscore, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Noscore

Noscore New Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi all, first of all, forgive me if this has been covered, but I'm struggling to find anything related. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

I'm looking to upgrade from my SE310s as my cables have finally given up the ghost.

I quite like the bass/mid/treble balance from these, and the great sound isolation achieved with the foam tips so I'm looking for something with a similar character but with removable cables and greater clarity, separation and an improved soundstage.

I listen mostly to guitar-led 90's indie with some heavy rock, but also occasionally classical and jazz. Most of my digital music is at least 320kbps mps or better all on my Cowon J3.

I've been looking around but I have got myself a bit confused. I've been looking at Westone Um3x RC, UE triple Fis Shure 535s and the earsonics Sm3s. I can stretch a little higher price-wise if there's a clear winner around these starting IEMs
  2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi Noscore,

If you are after a balanced sound then I would go for either the Westone UM3X, or the new Earsonics SM64. They both have replaceable cables and the sound is superb, 2 of my favourite high end in-ear brands. The Shures are very good, but the midrange is a little too aggressive for my liking. They are used as musician monitors so this does make sense.

I hope this helps :)
  3. avl

avl New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    The Earsonics look interesting - but they have quite a high Ohms rating. How do they sound straight out of an iphone, or do they need an amp?