Using Earphones with TV

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by jfsebastian, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jfsebastian

jfsebastian New Member

I have a pair of Shure SE530 earphones which I mainly use with the TV. Most of the time I'm using my PS3, not just for games but also music, television and films. I've noticed that the sound quality of a lot of newer LCDTVs is pretty poor when listening through earphones. Would a headphone amp help to improve the sound quality? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Saiyajin

Saiyajin New Member

I think you will only get a small improvement by that. If the input signals are crappy, there won't go much better signals out of the amp either.
    If your LCDTV is the cause by the poor sound quality I would try avoid let audio go though you’re LCDTV and find a way taking the audio directly from your PS3.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  3. jfsebastian

jfsebastian New Member

That seems like a likely solution. Can anyone tell me how I could do this? Perhaps a headphone amp could be connected to the PS3 in some way?

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

PS3 connection to headphone amp / DAC

I don't own a Playstation 3, so excuse my ignorance. I understand (from doing a bit of Googling) that the PS3 has a digital audio output (optical). This would be the way to get the very best signal out of the PS3. However, you would need to convert it to an audio analogue signal somehow, either via a stereo amplifier that supports digital input) or via a DAC, such as the iBasso D10.

An external DAC is a great way of getting the very best out of many digital audio devices. CNET recently wrote an article about improving the Apple AirPort Express with an external DAC like the iBasso D10.

5. jfsebastian

jfsebastian New Member

Thanks for the idea. That product looks good but a little pricey. Would a cheaper headphone amp do the job? Rather than connecting via optical out and thus requiring a DAC I could connect using component leads.

6. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Playing PS3 with headphones

One option I was thinking of was taking the audio left/right from the TV and feeding the headphone amp with this.

This would give you a digital connection (via HDMI I presume) from PS3 to TV, and then you would use the DAC in the TV (might be worth checking the spec).

Just an idea. Probably not as good as taking the digital output from the PS3 to a dedicated DAC, but may be good enough.

I would recommend avoiding the headphone output on the TV. It's likely to be very poor quality (as Saiyajin suggested).