V-Moda M100s and Amp

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Corvus, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Corvus

Corvus New Member

So im pretty new to all of this stuff and ive been looking around for an amp I can use at both home (on my pc) and on the go with my Iphone 5 (but am switching to Samsung Galaxy 3 soon). As the title suggests I have ordered the v-moda M100s, and have been looking for cheep but nice amps to use with my headphones, so far the Pocket Amp 2 V2 looks like the best fit for my budget, and people are saying it sounds pretty nice too. Are there any better amps I could use for portability and home use around this price that are better? And does anyone know if this combination is good! Thankyou everyone who helps out! :D

Also if anyone can enlighten me on the benefits of DAC, solid state, and other components of amps.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The FiiO E07k is about the same price as the PA2V2, but also has a DAC (for computer only), but given that the amps have equal quality, the extras with the E07k make it a better deal. A good DAC-plus-amp may improve the sound of your Galaxy3, but it will not be low-budget. To improve the sound of my iPhone 6-plus, I would have to spend at least $600 USD on a DAC/amp.

3. Corvus

Corvus New Member

What would you think about the Fiio E17, I can buy a refirbished or second had one for 100 aus. Would this be worth the extra money?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

My sources say that the E17 does not sound as good as the E07k, but the new E17k is as good or better than the E07k.

5. Corvus

Corvus New Member

thanks for all the info, but just one last thing.

Even though there is a large price gap, would you suggest that I should save for the FiiO X5 (2nd Generation), or just settle for what we have spoken about before? The reason I was not looking towards DMPs was because I couldnt use it as an external sound card, but as far as I can see the X5 can be used as a DAC. So it would be the equivalent of buying two different products. Thoughts?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

That's a good plan. This 2-part review at Headfonia has the best info on the X5...

http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-x5-second-generation-part-1/
    http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-x5-second-generation-part-2/