V-moda vamp

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by dalethorn, Jun 12, 2012.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

One review noted that the iphone in normal mode (enabled as a phone, 4g etc.) interferes audibly with the DAC or amp. This is critical, since the difference in amps is extremely subtle compared to the difference in various headphones. Of all the other reviews I could find, none mentioned this. I'm not about to turn off my phone just to eliminate interference.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

This looks really interesting - very different to Fostex HP-P1 or the Algorhythm Solo, in looks anyway. These are three different solutions to the poor sound of iDevices when twinned with higher end headphones. All the functionality of the iDevice software but with awesome sound quality thanks to an excellent external DAC.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I had an order in for the v-moda vamp at first, but canceled due to the reported noise issue. If it turns out to be true, that electronic interference would basically cancel out the small advantages afforded by the external DAC. From what I know the Fostex or AlgoRhythm DAC's/amps don't have any such issues.

5. RobinHiFi

That is a shame, it looked promising. Please report back if you hear any news about this. Thanks Dale.

6. marcusd

marcusd Member

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Thanks for posting this Marcus. As far as I know Val has been promoting his Vamp heavily on head-fi, which I haven't followed. Val hasn't posted in his own Facebook Centurions page for several months, and I wonder if his Centurions/reviewers feel that they might be out of the loop as a result. If I could make a suggestion for v-moda, based on my years of personal electronics sales and management, I'd say they should communicate more and to a broader audience on the Vamp device - saying what they plan for iPhone4 support on a going-forward basis, and what plans they have for an iPhone5 Vamp, if any.

8. marcusd

marcusd Member

Dale I kind of like how Val is taking things like this to the masses, its cool and hip, and to be honest nothing new in marketing I guess. I tried to grab a GoDap last year before Val came out for review but they though our local market here too small sadly for exposure which was a shame since I am now sitting with an iphone 4.

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I ordered a Vamp and then canceled because of two things, both unresolved. I really love the look and would like to have one, but as I explained, he's not even communicating with his own Centurions, so what does that mean?

10. etys rule

etys rule New Member

$650 for the vamp...

Wow, I've seen everything. I don't believe the prices on some of these things. I know I've seen alternatives for half that price. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why it is worth $650?

I would love to know why.

11. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Apple tax plus VModa 'designer' tax would be my guess. After getting the M-100 I wouldn't touch the Vamp with a barge poll. Is there even a model for the iPhone 5 yet? Not that it matters, the iPhone 6 will still render it useless so anyone who gets it really must have money to burn!! At least the Fostex HP-P1 can fit on any iPhone or iPod.

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I skipped the Vamp, which I dearly would love to have had because having a bling item like that is just as important as having a really nice car. But I am seriously considering the Verza, if I don't blow my budget for the month when it becomes available. Part of that will be upgrading to the iPhone5 of course. I did get the new iPod Touch, and I really love the extra screen size, so the iPhone'5s' I will probably get, then maybe the Verza. But given where you'd use such a thing (i.e. noisy), having an external DAC for improvement in detail seems a bit specious.

13. RobinHiFi

The amps mentioned in this thread also have a DAC which can interface with iDevices. This means you can remain an Apple devotee and get much superior resolution, a big plus if you are glued to an iPod touch. If someone brings out a device which does this at a much lower price point it will be very popular. You might know that already but it might also help someone else who stumbles across this thread. I use an AlgoRhythm Solo with a Just Audio AHA-120 and an iPod Touch. It's not a tiny setup but will power nearly any headphone and sounds great.:)

14. marcusd

marcusd Member

Confirmed GoDAP do have an iphone 5 version for sale in Japan, held one at the end of Nov 2012 in a local meet with one of our members who goes there once a month - very impressive looking but never got to play with it's audio capabilities instead opting for the AK100 from iRiver on that given day.

15. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I was under the impression that v-moda (based on their statements) purchased the product and the design or whatever from GoDAP, but if GoDAP is making the same thing for the iPhone5, then v-moda doesn't have an exclusive for any of these?

Or does this mean that the GoDAP can't be distributed in the U.S. and certain other markets?