Walking to work headphones? £100 budget

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Rhyswalkstowork, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Rhyswalkstowork

Rhyswalkstowork New Member

Hi all, newbie here needing some of your good advice....
    I have £100 approx - any less would be good, a little more I can stretch too for the right pair.
    I'm starting to walk to work so will get to listen to music for 90 minutes a day without interruption ahhhhh heaven!
    I use some seinheizer in ears but they drive me mad because of the cable noise and hearing the thud of your own footsteps in your head.

I would like a quality pair of phones that I can walk in for 90 minutes a day, they might get a spit of rain occaisionly (I'll put my hood up) I don't really mind the size of them, just that they are suitable, I've been looking at the ATH-M50 would they be suitable for outdoor use? They won't get wet or anything....
    I currently have an old iPod nano gen3 or my iPhone 4 to listen with, I'll buy a little inline amp if needed of maybe a better iPod?

Any advice gladly appreciated,
    Thanks

Rhys

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphones for walking to work

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is an excellent headphone, although some will find it a little large for wearing out an about while walking. I personally would be quite happy to wear this headphone walking, but just wanted to mention this.

The ATH-M50 is a really nice sounding headphone. Designed for the studio, but equally capable as a listening for fun headphone. It compares well against other quality choices, e.g. Beyerdynamic DT770, Shure SRH840, but with the benefit of being more portable.

If you are looking for something smaller and lighter (and don't mind on-ear headphones) then either the Audio-Technica ATH-ES55 or the SoundMAGIC P30 would be good alternatives.