Want to buy over ear headphones under £50

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by robia016, Dec 27, 2012.

1. robia016

robia016 New Member

I dont spend very much on headphones as my current deteriorating pair are sennheiser hd201 which i felt were great value for money at a sub £20 price. However, due to them deteriorating i wish to buy new ones but i am hoping for an upgrade.

Here's my specs: Over the ear headphones. Budget of £50 or less. Not too bassy - well balanced in lows/mids/highs. i wish to use them only at home for watching films as well as music. the music i listen to mostly rock, to alternative, to reggae, to pop, a bit of electronic, a bit of drum and bass. as films tend to be 2 hours, give or take, i wish them to be very comfortable.

in a nut shell im looking for comfortable and well balanced over the ear headphones that are £50 or less and would just like some recommendations :) your help will be much appreciated :D

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Forgot to say - the 'B' in TH-7B means black color.

4. robia016

robia016 New Member

yeh i figured they were the same :) thanks man! never heard of these before now. shows how great this place is :D

5. robia016

robia016 New Member

I also spotted the TH-5. I was just wondering what makes them £10 less?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I sure don't know - all I know is the TH7 gets talked about a lot. It's hard to find good detailed reviews on low-budget headphones.

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The TH-5 is ok but there's a considerable improvement for the extra £10 for a TH-7. If you need a general headphone, maybe for a shared computer, then the TH-5 is fine, if you feel like treating your ears the extra money for the TH-7 is easily justified :)

8. robia016

robia016 New Member

when looking at the specs the only major differences are that the 5 has 44 ohm and the 7 has 60 ohm. also the drivers of the 7 are 10mm larger than the 5 - i believe from 30mm to 40mm.

but tbh i dont understand those specs that well despite reading up on it. i would just like to know what exactly this extra 10mm driver and this extra 16 ohm means in terms of improvements :)

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The extra ohms (impedance) doesn't mean anything at that level (the low impedance range for headphones), but the 40 mm drivers will provide better bass response with less distortion, all other things being equal. It is theoretically possible to produce a 30 mm driver that would be better than most 40 mm drivers, but it would be prohibitively expensive to do so, so it's a very safe assumption that this 40 mm driver is much better than the smaller driver.

10. robia016

robia016 New Member

that will be what the extra £10 is for then ;) thanks :D i do prefer the electric purple compared to the electric green as well so i think ill go for the TH-7! wanna feel those explosions in my movies ;)