Was all geared up to buy Denon AHD-2000s...

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by andrewburrell, Dec 10, 2011.

1. andrewburrell

andrewburrell New Member

Hi everyone,

I had done all my research on the Denon AHD-2000s and had been and listened to them a couple of times in HMV, where the cable was conveniently stored away, but somehow I managed to miss the fact that they have a 3 metre cable.

It is the first time I have thought about buying expensive headphones, although I had fantasised about owning a good pair of BOSE, but on listening to these in comparison to BOSE they blew me away. I'm really not an expert I just know what sounds good to me. I would mainly be using these for long commutes with an iPod and evenings with a laptop while I am away on business. When I am home I would just use my stereo.

I was really keen on buying these but have now been put off by the length of the cable. 3 metres is a bit prohibitive to portable use isn't it? Can anybody give me an opinion on my thoughts about the cable length for portable use, or an alternative pair that I should be researching to better fit my needs if you think the cable length would be a problem. I'd really appreciate the advice.

For your information I found the ADH-2000s priced just under £200 and that would be around my max budget.

Would appreciate any advice/pointers anyone is prepared to give. I realise you probably get quite a lot of these threads so apologies.

All the best,

Andrew

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphone cable too long

The thing is, you've tried these and all the factors work for you except the cable. Recommending other headphones brings up all those factors, any of which could disqualify the new headphone for you. There should be someone who can splice the cable down to 1 to 1.5 metres or whatever you like. You may have to search Google for cable mods, or you could ask in the DIY sections of this forum or something similar. But any other course means restarting from scratch, so there you are.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

If you really liked them Andrew you should go for them! There will be a local HiFi store near you, or maybe a Guitar/Music shop - they will know someone who modifies and repairs equipment. It is a small job and I cannot imagine someone charging more than £20.:)

4. andrewburrell

andrewburrell New Member

Thank you both for your replies.

I noticed a comparison drawn on another thread between the ADH2000s and the Beyer Dynamic DT770s. Are they similar enough to be able to compare as I have not listened to the Beyer Dynamics. I don't listen to anything too bass driven and my music taste ranges from classical to the more mellow side of rock with quite a lot of acoustic thrown in in-between.

As I said I was very impressed with the Denons, this is just quite a big investment for me and I want to make sure I don't jump in too quickly. How do you rate the Denon NC800s? They seem to be a bit more geared for potability although I don't know whether the voice cancelling element sacrifice the overall sound quality.

Many thanks,

Andrew

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Although these are actually quite a nice pair of noise cancellors, they don't stack up against the D2000 and the DT770. DT770 would probably need an amp (depending on your portable device) which closes the price gap with the D2000.

I guess this is why there are so many questions, it really isn't easy to get exactly what you want.