Westone 4?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Fatality, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Asked this a few months ago in a different forum. What do you guys think of the westone 4? Considering upgrading my UM2's for these.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Fatality

The Westone 4 are a superb sounding in ear with 4 balanced armature drivers per ear, each with a 3 way crossover, making them one of the most advanced standard earphones available. I don't own these and I have had a quick go on a customers pair so I will not be doing a big review but here is a quick description.

Westone have a great fit and give away some excellent accessories (Comply Tips etc) so the fit is there from the beginning. They are lightweight and well built with excellent cables. The sound is the important bit and that is the place where these shine. They are very balanced, not slightly bass heavy like the Westone 3, more like a upgraded UM3X.

It is very hard to describe the sound, but natural even and solid comes close. If you are new to this end of the market these will blow you away, as a collector you should be please to sit these next to your SE535's. If you are replacing some UM3's or similar you are going to need to read some in depth analysis and comparisons as it is all about taste at this price and they will either be right for the user or not.:)

3. Fatality

Fatality New Member

My UM2's are amazing for bass. but would these be a good upgrade for them? What would you recommend for an upgrade? I'm tempted to try out shure.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

It is really hard to argue with the sound of the

Shure SE535 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Clear (SE 535)
    £329.95

they have a real solid and steady bottom end, but we have had some really favourable impressions from people who have bought the

Westone 4 True-Fit Quad-Driver In-Ear Isolating Headphones
    £319.96

I really like both brands and they are really close quality wise and in the fit, size and weight. Very hard to help you as I'm not sure which of these two I would buy - I think it might be the Shures though, but again that is my taste.

The only way you will genuinely separate these excellent earphones is by getting a listen, obviously that is extremely difficult to achieve.:)

5. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Ah not sure what to choose now lol. I love Westone earphones but I've head nothing but praise for Shure plus they look nicer and have a removable cable (Although I've had no problems with the westone cables) So slightly leaning towards Shure. :D