Westone W4 or Shure SE535?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by robbyp100, Dec 28, 2011.

1. robbyp100

robbyp100 New Member

Dec 28, 2011
    I'm looking to get some earphones for use with an ipod touch (4g). My budget is around £300, and the two models I have found are the Westone W4 and Shure SE535. Can anyone make a reccomendation on which to pick? They both seem to have favourable reviews wherever I look. As I mentioned, I will be using them exclusivly with my ipod, for use on the go (not for the gym however).
    Any advice would be really helpful.

Could anyone explain amplifiers to me? I keep hearing people saying 'you need to use them with an amplifier to get the full benefit'. Do amps, like the Fiio E11, just make the music louder? or do they increase the quality aswell?

thanks in advance!
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Robby,

Amps increase the available volume - If you have headphones which require a lot of driving (normally full sized) an amp will give the necessary head room (extra volume, enough for quieter tracks). An amp will not increase the quality of a recording but will stop hard to drive headphones feeling limp and underpowered. Some amp/headphone combinations can give more width to the stereo imaging or naturally alter the EQ in a positive way but that is a subjective improvement.

As to the choice of earphones, this is really subjective - What genres of music do you listen to most? Who are your favourite acts?