What file type to listen to music?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by radioactivetoy, May 11, 2012.

1. radioactivetoy

radioactivetoy New Member

May 10, 2012
    I'm having to start my music library over again so I decided I might as well do it properly - keep everything tagged correctly and at the same bit rate.

I was wondering what type of music you'd recommend (type as in file type/bit rate, not genre). I'll be listening through Audio Technica M50s but hope to one day have a top quality sound system.

Is it worth getting everything in FLAC (and then converting to ALAC)? I'd need space for about 10,000 songs on my computer...(plus I'd like to fit most of them on my 160GB ipod). When heard through a top quality system, is there much difference between FLAC and 320 kbps? what about 320kbps and 260kbps?

Thanks for any advice
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    It is definitely a good idea to get everything in FLAC if you can, and back it up onto a couple of those pocket-size harddrives. Converting to 320k CBR MP3's will be plenty good enough for any iPod use, unless you are going to get a DAC that can pull the genuine USB output of the iPod and pipe that into a high quality headphone amp, and also use better headphones. Other than that, just make the MP3's.