What headphones for under £300

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Allyminium, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Allyminium

Allyminium New Member

Hi Everyone, I create my own music on my computer .... I mainly use headphones to do my work although really I use a combination of my Hi-Fi speakers and my studio speakers to reference my work. It's time for some decent quality headphones that will give me the truest natural sound. I have been saving up my money and at the end of this month I'll be buying some headphones .... question is .... which ones do you reccomend? I have £300 and I don't mind going over that a bit. At the moment I am split between the AKG k702 the DT880 pro and the ultrasone pro750, I'm sure they are all great hedphones. I just need a little pointer that's all. Many thanks. Ally

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I am not a massive fan of the K702 and would never use it for this purpose - I cannot understand why so many people recommend them for production as I don't think they feel similar to any nearfield or monitor array I have ever used.

Beyer DT880 are perfect for this kind of task - Dolby and the BBC and many others use these for post and mix when speakers cannot be used. They give a great idea of what is going on with a similar vibe to really decent medium sized nearfieldss. A decent soundcard should drive the 250ohm version but the 32ohm version may suit better if you like to go and contemplate an unfinished mix from your mp3 player in the garden.

Ultrasone Pro 750
    might be even better if you want a headphone for production and a bit of performance as well because of the closed back. This is a great pair of headphones as an all rounder for musicians who come out of the digital realm and get involved with real instruments as well as virtual ones. They do need quite a bit of driving so if you do like to listen to work in progress from a portable device a small amp like a Fiio E6 or a Fiio E7 may be a good investment too. Hope that helps!:)

3. Allyminium

Allyminium New Member

Thanks very much

Thankyou Robin,

Then that's my mind made up.... DT880's it is.... and as they are quite a bit cheaper i can get myself a little headphone amp too. Thanks again for your excellent advice. Ally

4. Allyminium

Allyminium New Member

Would it be best to place my order online or do you take orders over the telephone aswell?

5. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Robin was away the end of last week, so sorry he was unable to answer.

We take orders by phone on 01903 768910 Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00 or online 24 hours a day!

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Online orders

I have ordered from hifiheadphones once online, and the order process was quick, and I got my items in a couple of days. Excellent service, and I was kept informed by email.

7. Allyminium

Allyminium New Member

I have a question regarding headphones ... and this might sound a bit nooby .... despite being a producer for over a decade .... why do headphone companies make their headphones with different impedences ..... my question is in the context of 'i want to buy Beyerdynamic dt880's but I have noticed there is an impedance choice 32ohm and 250ohm .... will there be a sound quality difference between the 2? Just to let you know that i'm planning on getting the 250ohm ones and i'm going to get the Fiio E7, but just wondered why there are different impedances. Many thanks in advance. Ally

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Impedances

Supposedly there are valid technical reasons, but with over 30 years of listening with headphones from $50 USD on up to $1500, I really don't see the issue at all. Given a choice I always choose the lowest value as the most efficient, but perhaps someone will advise differently here.

9. marcusd

marcusd Member

This is an excellent article for you to kick things off sourced from soundsound.com and introduces you to the basics of impedance and how it works.

Understanding Impedance

To quote on the article section specifically pertaining to headphones:

Headphones