What headphones should i get? Really stuck.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Swiss, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Swiss

Swiss New Member

So i have around £100-200 to spend on headphones... i wouldn't mind paying slightly more than £200 as well. I'm looking for portable headphones that have a closed design. I listen to dubstep, R&B and hip hop, grime, rap so i'm looking for good quality headphones obviously that have good amount of bass.

Anyone have any ideas of headphones that would suit me?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

What you describe sounds exactly like the Bose QC-15. Strong bass, good overall sound, and the best noise canceling in the business.

3. Swiss

Swiss New Member

any other headphones you could recommend that is cheaper?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Cheaper...

Not with noise canceling. If you choose a closed design with no extra canceling (i.e. electronic canceling), then you have many quality choices below the QC15 price range.

5. Swiss

Swiss New Member

Hmm i guess that is my only choice. What headphones with a closed design would you recommend then? thanks for this help btw

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Which closed headphone?

For small and light and fair isolation plus good sound I like the VModa M80, but while the deep bass is impressive, the upper bass is somewhat lean. A much better sound with strong bass but good clarity overall is the German Maestro 8.35D, but it is larger (not really large though) and is not something you could wear around your neck easily when not listening. Robin and others here can point to other good closed headphones they are familiar with like the ATH M50 (I think that's the one), which may suit your purpose. Below is a list I sorted by price - just scroll down to the appropriate price range and see what you think.

Closed Back Headphones

7. Swiss

Swiss New Member

how are the beats headphones?

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Beats

I stick to high fidelity headphones, which Beats do not pretend to be due to severe freq. response colorations. I have heard that their most expensive model gets closer to hifi than their average model, but still it's a very different type of design not intended for high fidelity reproduction.

9. marcusd

marcusd Member

10. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator