What headphones to buy?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Chael, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Chael

Chael New Member

Hi, I am looking to get a pair of headphones and my budget is up to £200 ($300) at the max. I have been searching around and reading reviews etc. I listen to mainly Rap and Hip-Hop music and so far I have these headphones in mind: AKG K550, Sennheiser HD 598, Soul by Ludacris SL300. I have heard the Soul by Ludacris are actually suppose to be good, however I won't buy any Beats by Dre as I feel they are more of a fashion accessory rather than a good pair of headphones. If anyone can recommend me any other headphones that will be great, or you can tell me which one you would get from the ones I listed. I am looking for bass but not over the top like the Beats, I am also looking to good overall sound quality. I will be using them mainly in the house so looks aren't an issue for me, aslong as they are comfortable and can we worn for long periods of time. Thanks.

2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Chael, before recommending some headphones for you it would be good to know a few things first.

What source will you be using for your music? (iPhone/Pod, Hifi, PC...)
    Would you prefer open or closed back? If you are going to be using them in public then closed is probably best as they isolate better - open back headphones generally have a wider and more natural sound to them, but they will leak noise.

£200 is a great place to start, there are plenty of great headphones to choose from - answering these questions will help me round it down for you.

3. Chael

Chael New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will be using the headphones for home use only e.g on the computer and I'm not bothered if they are open or closed as long as they are around ear headphones and not the ones just that rest on your ears if you know what I mean.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

AKG K550 are comparatively thin in the bass, and the HD598 is slightly better, but still oriented toward classical music and jazz, acoustic, folk etc. The Soul by Ludacris is way different from those two headphones, but it's not a hi-fi sound since the mids and treble are uneven. Worse is when the battery goes - they still work, but the bass disappears.

The headphone listed below is the best alternative I know of - excellent build quality from one of the premier makers of headphones, and great sound quality with an adjustable bass.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed Back Studio Headphones

5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to agree with dalethorn on this one. The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros are going to be the best choice in your budget, they sound great and you can customise the sound to suit the music you are listening to. Amazing for the price!