What headphones?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by hawkeyelen, Aug 5, 2011.

1. hawkeyelen

hawkeyelen New Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I have poor hearing and my wife has excellent hearing.
    We cannot watch TV together.
    What headphones should I get to solve the problem.
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi hawkeyelen

The first think to do is have a look around the back of your TV, what you need is an audio output which does not cut the signal to the TV speakers - if you have a phono/RCA Output you are ready to go and will find it easy to sort out a workable solution. If however you only have a headphones socket you will have to buy an adaptor for one of the SCART outputs. Headphone outputs on Televisions normally cut signal to the speakers.

Here is an example of a SCART to RCA adaptor.

Now you know you can plug in the headphones without cutting power to the speakers here are some different items with an idea of how they can help -

Sennheiser HD65 TV Closed Dynamic TV Headphones (HD 65 TV)
    -Inexpensive comfortable basic headphones with a well made volume control on the cable

TV Ears 2.3 Wireless Voice Clarifying Listening System (TV-Ears)
    -Stethoscope style headphones from the USA. Well designed alternative to the expensive Sennheisers more commonly found in the UK.

Sennheiser Set 840 TV Wireless TV Listening System (Set 840-TV)
    -Audiologist recommended Stethoscope style headphones.

Sennheiser RS120 Wireless Headphones (RS 120 Wireless Headset)
    -Basic analogue wireless headphones - probably as good as Radio Frequency wireless headphones get for under £100

Sennheiser RS170 Wireless Headphones (RS 170 Wireless Headset)
    -A superb set of high quality digital signal wireless headphones, including a surround sound mode.

I would personally go for the RS170 as a bit of a gadget fiend - they are excellent for use in a living room, comfy, sturdy and sound great.

Hope that helps:)