What is the best in-ear earphone (IEM)?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by ShaunG, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ShaunG

ShaunG Guest

If you had an unlimited budget what in-ear monitor (IEM) sound isolating earphone would you choose?
  2. Saiyajin

Saiyajin New Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Well, from those above the SE530 and Triple.fi 10's are defiantly the best. These are the top universal IEM's out there now. People are still discussing which one is better but I think when it comes to all it's just about taste.
    The SE530 is spoken to be just amazing but boomy but they have a higher price tag than the others. Triple.fi sound amazing too but in a different way, they not so expensive too but most people do not find them comfortable.

I would pick the Triple.fi 10 because they seems to match best my taste of Electronica/Ambient/Instrumental/Retro (and more :) ) music collection and they seems to be great using while playing games too so I am simply going to try these out soon.
    I am planning too to try out the Shure's and Sleek's as well soon or later. :)

IMO if you were on budget the Sleek Audio would have been a good choice. The sound is just a step below the others but the price is a bit lower.
    I don't know much about the Klipsch Image X10's. They properly be a good choice if you going for a comfortable and very nice looking IEM but I hear people is like these on sound as well

But if my budget were unlimited I would instead go for a Ultimate Ears UE-11 Pro Custom :cool:
    They should be one of the best on this planet right now and close to full sized headphones but you need make molds of your ears if you really want to get these.
    In that I doubt we ever see these sold around here because there is required high stuff and much service of the store to even offer making those molds.
    Oh don't remind my about the price. :eek: Too huge and risky for a first time audiophile IEM buyer like me, but might sure worth the money.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  3. ShaunG

ShaunG Guest

Best in-ear headphones

Interestingly, the new breed of single driver earsphones, e.g. Klipsch Image and Sleek Audio SA6, are being favourably compared with the top of the range non-custom IEMs, like the Triple.fi 10 Pro.

Some of these reviews and opinions on Head-fi.org make interesting reading:

We've been thinking about offering a service to supply custom fit earphones like the UE-11 Pro and Sleek Audio Custom, but have been holding back as we are not sure of the demand. It would be interesting to hear some opinions on this.
  4. BloodSugar00

BloodSugar00 New Member

Sep 11, 2008
    I'm litening to my SA6 with new cable, and they are simply woohing me massively! I can't believe it actually! They're sound is stunning! Crisp, clear, lush, musical...loving them! Have to pick them now but as to whether I have a true favourite I'm not sure. I still love my SE530's and triples. I love all of my IEM's sonic characters.:D

With regards customs goin up for retail here at hi-fi headphones, I like the idea, the option, the choice. Above that, realising, particulary in UK, they are gona be a niche niche item, I applaud hi-fi for considering the option! However, me personally, for numerous reasons, I can't see myself delving into the customs scene for quite some time. So, on a buying level, atm, that is not a service I would be utilising I'm afraid. However, I would love to see it come into play as it will be great to be able to buy custom options from a UK vendor!
  5. nazz

nazz New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Best IEM - Klipsch Image X10

I've recently upgraded from my trusty old pair of Sennheiser CX300's to a gorgeous set of Klipsch Image X10 and I've been blown away by them.

The difference between the two earphones is staggering. There is so much more detail present with the X10's compared with the CX300's.

I'm guessing this is also true of earphones like the Sleek Audio SA6 and the triple driver UE's and Shures. I'd love to hear a pair of triple driver earphones though to compare with the X10.
  6. chineseWisper

chineseWisper New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Has anyone compared all side by side

This is a bit of a strange poll? How many people have tried them all the above let alone all IEM's?
  7. koalkoal

koalkoal New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    I think the IEM is for personal usage, it is hard to say which one is the best, maybe it should say which one is most suitable when you are using. However, I never try the mentioned earphones, no comment.
  8. ShAwNeX

ShAwNeX New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Personal Opinion

I don't think I would regard any of the above listed as being the best IEM, but rather all equally good and with their own strengths.

But the one's I've owned being Shure SE530 and Sennheiser IE8 (currently using) are damn good.

P.S. What about the Ultimate Ears 10 Pro?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009