What is your audio source for headphone listening?

Discussion in 'Audio Sources' started by Shaun-HiFi, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Let us know what audio source you generally listen to headphones with...

2. James

James New Member

Most of the time I use my 4th Gen Ipod Nano, for headphone listening.

Other times I would use a computers/laptops soundcard; but the only problem with that is the interference when moving the mouse ! :confused: Is this fixable, or just down to cheap sound cards?

3. roylovelock

roylovelock New Member

for me i use the archos 5 portable media player atm, ive been a user of the archos range since the av300, i could never get on with the ipod sync method of i tunes, i love the ease of drag and drop.
    roy

4. ericvincent

ericvincent Banned

To listen audio, I use CD Player and Computer Soundcard....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. Musicalmadness

Musicalmadness New Member

At home it would mostly be my vinyl so turntable amp etc,portable sources would be either sony Rh1 hi-md,s638f or sansa fuze.

6. PorkchopHouse

PorkchopHouse New Member

What do you mean? There is sound interference when you move your mouse?? Never heard of that before, i'm pretty sure its not supposed to happen. try using a wired mouse im guessing this is happening with a wireless.

7. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

My primary system is Cambridge Audio A5/P500, which I use for listening to vinyl and CD, and this doesn't have a headphone outlet; so for headphone listening I use a Marantz PM-63 amplifer hooked up to a Marantz CD-63SE and a second Thorens TD-150 turntable.

I don't listen to portable music so much, but I have an old Creative Zen which I sometimes take around with me.

8. adriank2200

adriank2200 New Member

I mostly listen to music on my mobile phone - radio & mp3s, because when I feel like listening to music, I pop the phone out of my pocket and press "Play |> " :) The rest of the time the integrated sound card on my PC is the option.

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Sources

Mostly iPod Touch 4th or iPhone 4, even at home because I don't like long headphone cables, I don't like wireless headphones, and I hate to have my movements restricted.

10. DGB

DGB New Member

Sources

For headphone listening i use either
    MacBook Pro -> Fiio E7 -> Sennheiser HD595 (soon to be AKG K240 mk2) or Shure e3c IEMs when I'm not moving about or
    iPhone -> (Fiio E7 - depending on use/location) -> either Shure E3c IEMs or some Sennheiser iPhone compatible earphones for when I am out and about.
    With the above, I generally use lossless audio files.

I have a separate hifi that I don't usually use headphones with, but that could change.

11. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

12. RamblinE

RamblinE New Member

I use a stand alone dac the majority of the time.

Just a little Audioengine D1. Plenty of room for improvement but as of right now I'm entirely happy with it.

13. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

What amp do you use with that BTW?

I mostly listen to stuff on the PC/laptop (lossless or Spotify) connected to a USB DAC. My faves so far are a Yulong D100 mkII (Desktop) and an Arcam rPAC (laptop). Soon I will be getting the Samsung Galaxy Note II, which can also use a DAC so I will report back if/when it works with something I've got.

14. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

15. marcusd

marcusd Member

I am complicated :)

Currently stacking a Schiit Guagnir DAC and Mjolnir balanced amp with USB input core setup at home and a Merdian 506 20 BIT CDP and Laptop as my main source into this.

I also have a Maverick Audio D1 and D2 DAC for my other amps and a Fiio E17/E09 DAC AMP for quick up and running when I cant be bothered leaning over for anything more than a meter away from the PC.

On the go its a Cowon X7 DAP with a ALO Continental or RXD MK3 with Um Merlins. I could trip stack an Ibasso DB2/PB2 using an iriver H120 and optical but the arrival of the DX100 solved that triple stack for now.

16. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Hey Marcus :). I'm curious about the DX100, is it worth the money do you think? Have you ever compared it to the Colorfly C4 or Hifiman 801? Personally I like the look of the Colorfly but I worry about the interface and memory expansion.