What next.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by eniemeanie, Jan 27, 2014.

1. eniemeanie

eniemeanie New Member

Jan 27, 2014
    I recently brought the ATH-M50s, that I am very happy with.

I was wondering what the next step was for improving audio quality as I noticed an obvious top level when listening to music via desktop. I was researching DAC and preamps etc and wondering what set up to use. I am looking for a desktop solution, so doesn't need to be portable and on a bit of a budget atm, so is there any recommendations?

(this will be for music, film and video editing)
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    This FiiO E07k may be small and portable, but it's a DAC and headphone amp of good quality, so it will improve the sound of most computers via USB, and will greatly improve the sound of iPhones etc. through the analog 'Aux' port. For Apple i-devices a FiiO LOD cable is really good to have also.

FiiO E07K Andes Portable Headphone Amplifier & USB DAC

This next list are the DACs, some with headphone amps, that provide a better quality sound as you move up the list to the higher prices. I would not recommend a headphone amp without DAC in your case, since the computer is going to improve only by putting the digital signal out through the USB, requiring a USB DAC.

Digital to Analogue Converters (DACs) for headphones
  3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    A great desktop solution is the FiiO E17 portable amp/DAC and the FiiO E09K desktop amp.

The E09K on it's own is a powerful headphone amp for the price. It's main feature is that you can connect the E17 to it, these two combined give you a powerful desktop amp/DAC setup. Then if you ever want a portable setup, the E17 on it's own is perfect!