What should I buy?!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Jnbz, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Jnbz

Jnbz New Member

Hello,

I've gone through quite a few headphones and earphones in the past year, and I still can't find what I'm looking for. So I thought I'd make a forum post.

Currently I'm using Sony XB700's as my choice for home listening and I currently have no earphones as I just can't find a pair that I like. I previously had Shure SE215's but I felt as if the high notes were too harsh on my ears and the bass was too little. After those I switched to some Monster Beats Tour earphones, if I'm honest I enjoyed them a lot. 2 broken pairs down the line due to the left side deciding to give up, I've decided to give a third pair a miss.

As far as the headphone situation goes I'm happy with my XB700's, but for some reason I can't help but have a feeling when I'm listening to music that I just want a bit more of everything going on if that makes sense. I've looked at maybe buying some XB1000's, maybe I will find those will offer me what I'm after, or maybe I should consider somthing like the Bose AE2, a pair of headphones I've also been looking at a lot. I don't know what to buy, I'm not saying those are the two pairs I've decided on and I have to have one or the other. I'm totally open to opinions and recommendations on what I should buy, my budget is around £200.

Since I currently own no earphones, this is the most important thing to me. I have about £100 to spend, I've looked at the Bose IE2 and they look really comfy and practical to use in everyday life, the only thing that puts me off is that everyone else will be able to hear my music as they leak badly. So as far as the earphones go I really have no clue what I should buy so throw everything you've got at me when it comes to recommendations on this.

I don't know if I might need a headphone amp or somthing, could that be why I feel like the audio is missing somthing? Please someone tell me what I need! Anyway, thanks for reading this far if you have haha. :p

Jnbz

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

ATH M50 sounds like the perfect solution. Adds a lot of high fidelity to your sound but still has a great deep bass impact. Better than other hi-fi headphones.

3. Jnbz

Jnbz New Member

Do you think it would be worth investing in a headphone amp? Any ideas on what earphones I should buy?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

My favorite headphone amp for good sound and portability and features is the FiiO E17. This list includes DAC functionality as well. Of course for ultimate clarity and accurate ambience the desktop amps are best.
    Digital to Analogue Converters (DACs) for headphones

Here's a bunch of earphones. I'm not the expert on these, but the SoundMagic E10's are very popular.
    In Ear Headphones - Ear Canal In Ear Monitor Headphones (IEM)

5. Jnbz

Jnbz New Member

Which desktop amp would you recommend that is around £100?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The only desktop headphone amps I know of for anywhere near that price are the Objective2 (headphone amp only) and the HRT Headstreamer (DAC plus headphone amp). These are not mainstream items so you would need to check Google for availability to your area. There are some Pro-Ject amps listed here for that price but I'm not familiar with them. If they seem interesting someone else may have more information.

Desktop Headphone Amplifiers

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

8. Jnbz

Jnbz New Member

What's the difference between a headphone amp and a dac amp?

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It's a simple enough question, but not a simple answer. The DAC does the digital conversion, and the amp boosts the analog signal to drive the headphone. But you have to check the specs closely to see what your power requirements are.

10. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Dale pretty much summed that up - if you want to know more about DACs read here.:)