What to do?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ayrshiredude, Jul 20, 2013.

1. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude New Member

Ok so here is my predicament.

I had a pair of Ultimate ears 700 which generally were pretty good if a little sibilant. I got ACS custom tips made for them as I have rather large ears so even the large comply tips don't really block out a lot of background noise. I was happy.

About 2 months ago the cable broke, I had purchased them directly from logitech, who agreed to refund them. unfortunately these earphones are now discontinued so they could not replace them. I have since purchased 2 different sets online which have both had non working left ears.

I am stuck as to what to do. Are there any other earphones that are similar size and shape that might be able to fit into my Custom Tips? I looked at the nocs ns800 which looks like they may be similar.

Another option is I have a pair of Shure E2c's which I like however could never get rid of a sufficient amount of background noise (due to my ears). I could get custom tips made for them, I believe they are the same as Shure SCL2. However though they work ok now, they are about 5 years old and there is no saying what could happen in the near future.

The final option is to start again with both the earphones and the tips.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Custom tips for earphones

It is indeed a tricky situation.

I expect it will be difficult to find an earphone that has the same profile and size as the UE 700. I agree the NOCS NS800 looks similar, but you may end up getting the earphones and finding that there is some small difference that makes the fit of the custom tips poor. The only way to find out would be to try the tips on the earphone.

The Shure E2c option does also seem a little risky, as you it's probable they will fail in the not to distant future (most likely cabling).

I would recommend choosing a good IEM with replaceable from a stable brand. Shure, Sennheiser or Westone would be good choices.

If you can wait and don't mind the risk of a new brand, it may be worth considering Audiofly - they are about to release a full range of IEMs (AF120, AF140 and AF160). They have replaceable cables. When we listened to the pre-production samples we were really impressed.