Whats best for hard of hearing

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by what?Icanthearyou, Jan 29, 2012.

1. what?Icanthearyou

what?Icanthearyou New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Hi, I've not done this before so please bear with me. I am an OLD Geezer who is hard of hearing and wears Hearing Aids. However, when watching TV I find it much easier, and better, to use Headphones. My last set were Wharfdale Wireless Headphones which were brilliant but they have now died on me. My wife got me some Panasonic ones for Christmas but they are worse that useless; 3 channels and I cannot get a clear signal on any of them.
    My problem is as follows; After many years all my High Tones have gone for a Burton while my Bass Tones are still about normal. My Hearing Aids are Digital and compensate for this. What I need is a Set of Wireless Headphones with Volume/Tone controls, but NOT with a high Bass output because I need to increase the High Tones, not the bass. Is there anything on the market (like Wharfdale, who seem to have gone off the Market), that is not going to cost me a fortune and is sure to work. I hate to sound like a moaning old geezer but I live on a pension, so cost is important. Thanks for any help ypu can give.
    Ta very much
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi what?Icanthearyou,

You have my sympathy. I suppose we are all slowly losing our hearing and I don't look forward to the day I have problems listening to music. Great that you are finding humour in it though!

There are a few different options that we carry but it might be good if I list them and you let me know which appeal or don't and then I can tell you more about them.

Sennheiser RS120-II Wireless Open Back Headphones (RS 120-II)
    £89.95 - Really nice full sized analogue unit which should do the job nicely.

Sennheiser RS170 Wireless Headphones (RS 170 Wireless Headset)
    £153.95 - A big upgrade on the RS-120. This has digital sound which is clearer and cleaner.

TV Ears 2.3 Wireless Voice Clarifying Listening System (TV-Ears)
    £89.95 - Really impressive at this price - stethoscope style headphone - Infra Red operation, so you need a clear line of sight to use these.

Sennheiser Set 840 TV Wireless TV Listening System (Set 840-TV)
    £259.99 - This is the king of the Stethoscope headphones with plenty of features to help with any hearing difficulties.

A couple of these might be well over budget but still have a look at the description on our website so you get an idea of what features you can find on the many wireless headphones available in the UK.

Let me know what other questions you have on this topic:)