Which Beyerdynamic ohm version?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by wellington, Nov 24, 2010.

1. wellington

wellington New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Hi there, please could you tell if there is any difference in sound quality between the 32ohm or 250 ohm version of the DT880s. I would only be using them with a Harman Kardon amp which I think is rated at 200watts total, not with a lower power source like a mp3 player.

Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Mike
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Mike

The higher Ohmage 250ohm driver gives a flatter response and is a lot harder to drive - this flatter reponse is much more suited to the Studio mix environment. The 32ohm version is more dynamic and works better as a Hifi Headphone. The flatter response of higher ohm headphones is not to everyone's taste but you could say it was more accurate and neutral. I love the 32ohm version of this headphone and they are not particularly wild anyway - a solid natural feel with strength and power.

Although your Harman Kardon amp has a nice powerful output stage for speakers this will be stepped down for the headphone output, you could obviously do yourself some serious damage if you wired the headphones up to the speaker output or at least give yourself a nasty fright. The 250ohm version really needs a well thought out headphone amp to perform at its best but the 32ohm should be perfect for your purposes.

Hope that helps:)