Which closed back headphones up to £200?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by andy, Aug 26, 2010.

1. andy

andy New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I have decent hi fi separates (Roksan Kandy amp and CD), but need a good quality pair of comfortable large headphones which are closed back. I dont need to use them from any other source. I can spend up to £200. I live in a very rural area and so find it difficult to audition. I listen to mainly classical, jazz, accoustic, folk. I probably prefer a warm, neutral sound which isnt bass heavy.
    Can you give any advice?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Andy,

Here are a few suggestions which meet your criteria with their individual merits -

Sneaked this semi open in as it is so good.

Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO Dynamic Semi-Open

I love these warm, accurate and beautifully German made semi open backs, you will not be able to drive them effectively with your iPod (without a portable amp) but most mains powered devices will cope. Still too loud to wear on the train but at home they will strike a great balance between warmth and clarity for extended listening. Detailed and crisp, measured and controlled - Quite a similar feel to Sennheisers excellent HD650. Sound leakage is acceptable within the home.

Ultrasone's HFI-780 Closed Back

Closed headphone with an open back sound thanks to Ultrasones amazing S -Logic - Unbelievable performance for their price and not only will they power from an iPod but they are well isolated so they could be used to travel, on holiday or to commute. Neutral sounding, not too warm at the bottom or oppressive at the top. Controlled without being clinical amazing separation and sound stage for closed back.

Audio-Technica ATH-A700 closed back

All about the mids - A very sweet sounding headphone with a bit more bottom end punch than it's open back, bass light brother. Great for folk and some opera, can sound confused when space is required. Best for your favourite chair but if you like a wonder around the room whilst listening the A700's comfy light fit is not for you.

A classic! - If there is a Recording Studio or Radio Station in the UK without a pair of these then it isn't a very good one. Warm without being overly bassy, every part is replaceable so your relationship with them need never end. These are well balanced and stunningly well made at this price point. Incredibly comfy and not at all tiring to listen for long periods. This 80ohm version can be used on the go with an iPod but is better suited to more powerful devices or a great headphone amp.

Personally the Ultrasone HFi780 is an incredible headphone that I could not ignore if I was buying using this criteria.

I hope this helps with your choice![​IMG]