Which Closed Back Headphones?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by larryreg, Dec 8, 2010.

1. larryreg

larryreg New Member

I want to buy closed back headphones that are suitable for use primarily with a computer (macbook) and to a lesser extent an iPhone. I am considering the Audio-Technica ATH A500 but I am not sure if the iPhone has enough power to drive them. I also looked at the ATh A700 but I see that has an added Amp for use with an iPhone. Are there any other headphones that you would recommend around that £100 to £150 price range?

Laurence

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Laurence

It is hard to tell from a picture but the full size Audio Technicas are huge! I mean real big! They also have a very light fit which together with their size is not ideal for wandering around. For home use they are excellent though - I'm beginning to think I am a Beyer Bore but DT770 80ohm are such good value for money and if you are wandering around although a little large they are a better fit during movement. Have a look at these three but if you will mostly be sitting still whilst listening then re-include A500/A700.

These are ordered brightest to darkest-

Ultrasone HFI-780 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 780)
    £159.95

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)
    £129.95

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £153.95

3. larryreg

larryreg New Member

Which Closed Back Headphones

Many thanks. That is really helpful. I had been considering the Beyers but I see that they are out of stock. I like quite a bassie sound so the Shure ones might be the answer.

Laurence

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Beyer DT770's are back in stock by the 15th of December :)

If you like it Bassy then the Shures would be a great choice as they are probably the nicest bass rich headphones about.

5. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Having bought the SRH840s myself, I've had nothing but joy from them. However, they really do excel when being powered by an amp. I've got an iBasso D10, but even a D2 or a cmoy-type amp will do the trick. Or you could always just crank up the EQ via your MBP as a short-term solution :)