which headphone amp

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ROB_GTR, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ROB_GTR

ROB_GTR New Member

Hiya guys, my Fiio E5 has died a death :(

The E5 to be honest made no difference (that i could tell) to the volume, sound or anything really.... i find the sound is exactly the same if i plug the earphones directly into my iphone and not use the bottom connection with the E5.

What headphone amp would you suggest for my Phonak PFE's that will give a kick in bass, improve sound quality and be a good allrounder?

The cheaper the better really but open to opinions

Cheers

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

3. ROB_GTR

ROB_GTR New Member

Hiya Robin,

I'm good thanks! Yourself?

I already have the line out (same one) which i used with the E5 but couldn't tell any difference from using the line out & amp to plain connection to my iphone.

So the E7 is the one of choice...... i will see what funds are available :)

Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphone amp

Rob, I would be careful with expectations of improvement with amping IEMs. Amping really makes a difference with full size headphones that have a higher impedance, because they need more power to move the speakers.

While the Phonak's are at the upper end of impedance for an IEM (50 Ohm) you may not see in improvement when connected to a device that has a decent power headphone out.

The iPhone is one of the better Apple products for headphone output power. With the iPod Nano the output is really very low and struggles to drive some IEMs.

Saying all that, the FiiO E7 does have a better quality amp stage than the E5 and the bass boost feature can be fun. Best of all the FiiO E7 DAC offers a significant improvement when connected to a PC or Mac