Which Headphones?!

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by lukeyboy, Nov 1, 2012.

1. lukeyboy

lukeyboy New Member

Morning Guys,

New to the world of headphones.
    looking for some decent all round headphones, for the gym, travel and at home.
    looking to spend around the £200 mark.

I listen to heavy rock, drum n bass ... so bass is important but the treble needs to be there too.

ive been looking at sennheiser 558 / 598 and AKG K 550.

I LOVE the look of the 598 - but theyre open cup - how loud will the music be coming out the back?
    is there much difference between the 558 and 598?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi lukeyboy

You definitely need to go closed back if you want a pair of cans you can really get some use out of in many different situations. Open backed cans are no good for travelling, commuting or the Gym. They will let too much external noise in but you will also irritate others around you - making you less likely to take them everywhere.

My big bit of advice is to not fall in love with the look of any headphone. There is no real correlation between liking the look and enjoying the sound or simply practical use of the headphone.

Go for features which will make the headphone as relavent as it can be to the way you will use it. You will end up loving the look after you find they work well for you and you can't put them down!:)

Here are some which would work really well for your tastes and the activities you have outlined -

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £145.00 - A nice neat and well built headphone.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £149.00 - Great sound and nearly indestructible housing make this a strong contender.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed Back Studio Headphones
    £169.96 - Really solid build, impressive bass adjustment feature.

SoundMAGIC HP100 Closed Back Headphones (HP-100)
    £169.99 - Well made and superbly comfortable - sound more impressive than expected at this price.

Focal Spirit One Closed Back Audiophile Headphones in Black
    £199.00 - Great portable cans, could be a little delicate but otherwise very impressive.

Hope that helps!

3. lukeyboy

lukeyboy New Member

Hi Robin

secretly i knew open back would be no good - i sort of fell in love with the look of the 598's !!

i had seen the Focals somewhere else - i think they are the ones i will go for .

while ive been looking about ive seen a lot of people linking their headphones to a FiiO amp - does this make a big difference to the quality?
    i assume the Focals can be used with a standard mp3 / phone jack?

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Absolutely - They have a screw on 6.3mm adaptor for those using them at home, but underneath there is a standard 3.5mm jack plug.